Realtime Looping ESSENTIAL CONFIG

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:58 pm

hopefully Live will have a looping plugin soon. There's even one in Guitar Rig now.

If Ableton is seriously going for the live looping crowd then a sound-on-sound looper with undos and Ableton timestretch/pitchshift built-in will BLOW UP the looping community.

AND if it had loop multiply/divide that could be either destructive or non-destructive it could pretty much steal the glitch community from NI as well

They need a proper product expert... :wink:
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Mika

Post by Mika » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:17 am

Just digging this one out to mention the Mobius VST plugin which is an (incomplete) emulation of the hardware Echoplex looping device.

I just found out about it a few days ago and haven't really tested it yet but it has plenty of functions and allows Overdub etc in real time. The best thing is that this plugin is FREE :D

From the creator of Mobius :

Mobius is a program for the real-time creation and manipulation of audio loops. It has functionality based on the venerable Echoplex Digital Pro with Loop IV software. It is not a complete emulation, but it does implement many of the Loop IV features, as well as a number of useful new features. Mobius is essentially 8 synchronized stereo EDP's with the ability to copy loops and timing between them. Extensive MIDI and computer keyboard control is available. Audio content may be saved to and loaded from files.

Mobius is free, though I do request that you report any problems you encounter and offer suggestions for new features you think would be useful. It is a Windows program developed under XP and may be run standalone or as a VST plugin. It will run on 2000 and NT, but will not run on 95 or 98.

You can download the plugin and manuals there : http://www.zonemobius.com/

KU

Post by KU » Mon May 01, 2006 9:14 pm

the Angstrolooper is way cool too

if it would ever get to V1.0...

it has a major audio hiccup bug

but it's by far the best layout I've seen for SOS looping VST

oh Angstrom!!! Where is Angstrolooper V1.0!!!! 8O

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Tue May 02, 2006 9:00 pm

sweetjesus wrote:
gregmcnichol wrote:Yeah i was vert dissapointed i bought live before i found out live couldnt do sound on sound looping
i feel for ya buddy

same sadness here
Yeah, I hope they bring "first loop in set sets tempo" in version 6.0 somehow. Something for the wishlist.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue May 02, 2006 9:22 pm

can I just point out a little thing here . Read Machinate's post above , then ponder the fact that he works for Ableton now!

:)

Andreas, you know the only reason I'm not releasing an updated angstrolooper is so that you persuade your colleagues do it properly ;)

I'd be so happy to retire it if we got sound-on-sound looping in clips.

Note: I will fix that bug soon honest. I'll not bore you with tedious details on why it hasn't happened yet

nolus

Post by nolus » Tue May 02, 2006 9:37 pm

combine this tip with careful use of the remove stop buttons function and you can do it with much fewer controllers.

say you have 4 loop tracks and you want to have 5 variations on each track. on the first track remove all stop buttons except from scenes 1-5, on the second track 6-10, etc.

now everything can be controlled by using just the next/previous scene and launch current scene controls.

individual tracks can be stopped by including a silent clip on each track .
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"

mw

Post by mw » Fri May 19, 2006 8:49 am

cool...i think this is worth a bump

nolus

Post by nolus » Fri May 19, 2006 12:27 pm

edit: whole post deleted. as you were.
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"

mw

Post by mw » Sat May 20, 2006 8:03 am

nolus wrote:edit: whole post deleted. as you were.
sorry?

nolus

Post by nolus » Sat May 20, 2006 9:43 am

sorry mw didn't mean to confuse - to explain:
I thought I had made an error in the post I made about removing clip stop buttons so I made a post to say as much.

Then I discovered that my first post was correct after all. so I removed the second message and left a note that was obviously none too clear.

The problem was that I had the default clip launch mode set to repeat. for some reason this works differently when trtiggered by MIDI than it does when triggered by the mouse.

Trigger by mouse click and it plays the whole clip, however long it is.
Trigger by MIDI and it loops after whatever the global quantise is set to.

I'm sure it's a bug

if you set the launch mode to trigger then it works ok

I was just too lazy to explain it properly last night.

mw

Post by mw » Mon May 22, 2006 7:41 am

:lol: ah right....

btw this set up doesnt work in v5...you cant have multible records enabled but it does save on cpu with the fx set up

Soarer

Noop question help needed

Post by Soarer » Mon May 22, 2006 8:31 am

With the setup shown in post 1 how do I make the loop playback immediately after it has been recorded? I cannot do that. I stop the the recording with the stop button but I want it to start playing immeadiately -exactly like Kid Beyond in the Ableton video. I can do it by deactivating the "arm" button but then it does not stop at the synced point and the loop becomes too short.
???

nolus

Re: Noop question help needed

Post by nolus » Mon May 22, 2006 5:56 pm

mw wrote: btw this set up doesnt work in v5...you cant have multible records enabled but it does save on cpu with the fx set up
Oh yes you can!

navigate to options->preferences->misc->behaviour->exclusive

and click on the "arm" button
Soarer wrote:With the setup shown in post 1 how do I make the loop playback immediately after it has been recorded? I cannot do that. I stop the the recording with the stop button but I want it to start playing immeadiately -exactly like Kid Beyond in the Ableton video. I can do it by deactivating the "arm" button but then it does not stop at the synced point and the loop becomes too short.
???
Set your default launch mode trigger.
trigger the clip to start recording
now trigger it again - it will keep recording to the end of the bar (or longer depending on the quantize setting) and then start to play back what you just recorded.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon May 22, 2006 7:56 pm

I think I should also say theres a handy way of getting almost sound on sound loops like this. well, bounced sound on sound anyway.

have 4 audio 'loop tracks' getting their audio from a main loop source, but make that loop source be a return track - now anything you send to that return track is recordable.

so you can send loop 1 into send A , then start recording loop 2, it will record loop one.

the only benefit to this being that you can assign the sends to a standard controller - my usual set-up for this is quite complex, but essentially I have
  • a row of dials that send tracks to the loop return channel
  • keyboard keys to start a loop track recording
  • controllers assigned to the start and loop length controlers
  • a load of stupid effects to reverse the return audio and fragment it as it goes into the loop.
sometimes the 'songs' that come out are almost bearable, but generally they are a good way to discover things.

Soarer

Re: Noop question help needed

Post by Soarer » Mon May 22, 2006 9:24 pm

nolus wrote:Set your default launch mode trigger.
trigger the clip to start recording
now trigger it again - it will keep recording to the end of the bar (or longer depending on the quantize setting) and then start to play back what you just recorded.
Thanks yes it works fine.