Realtime Looping ESSENTIAL CONFIG

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
jah4life

Re: some more questions

Post by jah4life » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:32 pm

meeble wrote:Hello,

I'm looking to use a setup like this with my FCB1010. Currently, everything works well when I trigger recording with the mouse in a cell.

But, how should I setup my FCB1010 to make ONE foot-switch start recording on the first available cell on a track? i.e. I hit a foot-switch to record a loop in the first cell on a track - but the first attempt to loop my bass may not go so well, so I hit the same FCB switch again to start recording on the next scene down on the same track. I want to be able to do this again and again until I like the loop performance. any ideas?

thx
meeble
Assuming you know how to use ableton's extremely helpful midi and keystroke learn functions, here are a couple of ideas:

First of all, get a free midi translation program like bomes or controlaid or whatever fits your need. You will need it to do that kind of thing.

Although I am not sure how you may go about making the same button do different things each time you push it, I think bomes will do that.....

Another approach might be to route one of your buttons to the "delete key" and another to "command z" (undo) and then if you don't like the first run of the loop you can either hit delete or undo from your board and then redo it on the same clip slot using the same record button on your FCB1010. Also eliminates having to fill up your track with a bunch of "bad" clips. Again, you'll need a translation app like midistroke for this.

seankanary

Post by seankanary » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:21 am

Hey fellas.. thanks for this thread, just what I was looking for, however I have a quick question. When I record a clip, It sounds as if it has a gate over it.. The sound is very choppy (silence cuts in about every half second). Is there a setting that I need to adjust?

as an fyi, this is what the audio sounds like:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/53679558874840ae/

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:58 pm

Just a reminder (meebie and others) that value 76 is 'undo' when using Mackie Control in midi prefs - that way you don't need the third party midi translators, so if you mess up a recording, hit that and start again.

macdelux

Re: Realtime Looping ESSENTIAL CONFIG

Post by macdelux » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:02 am

Hey loopers and ableton freaks...

Anyone know how to keep 1 track record enabled whilst turning other tracks record enabling on and off? (In a live onstage setup all via midi)

Basically my setup is running a live mic feed that has effects on it (track1)
and about 5 tracks of virtual synths that I run with a midi keyboard. (track 2-6)
I want the live mic feed (track 1) to stay record enabled whilst I only play through one of the virtual synth tracks (as I dont want all 5 sounding at once - so either track 2 or track 5... but not both!). Virtual synths only seem to sound when record enabled.
So the virtual synth tracks need to only have one of them record enabled at a time whilst the live mic feed always stays on...
To make this one step harder I do all the track switching through a FCB-1010 Behringer footswitch.

Confusing??? I been racking my brain for a while on this one!

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:01 pm

Do you actually RECORD in track 1? If not you can switch the Input from "Auto" to "In"

Otherwise, there is an option in Preferences that allows you to be able to hit multiple record enable buttons without turning any off. This would then mean you would have to turn Off the ones you are Not going to be using.

macdelux

Post by macdelux » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:47 am

Do you actually RECORD in track 1? If not you can switch the Input from "Auto" to "In"

Otherwise, there is an option in Preferences that allows you to be able to hit multiple record enable buttons without turning any off. This would then mean you would have to turn Off the ones you are not going to be using.

Hey thanks for the reply. If the input is on "In" for the mic track then doesn't it also send the dry signal of the mic aswell as the wet signal from the effects? I only want the effected sound to come through - that's why I figured you needed to have monitor off and record on.

If I enable that "multiple record enable" option in the preferences panel I wonder if there's a way to send multiple midi signals that turn OFF the instrument tracks not needed whilst turning ON the one that I want?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:17 am

Record enabling turns on the 'record buttons' on the session view grid (or also sets a channel up to record audio when recording the set).

With "In" on, you automatically have your audio going into the channel no matter what. The audio will always be affected by any fx that are in that channel just like any other audio (the only way to get a dry signal might be to send a pre-fx out to a return channel).

"Auto" makes recording and playback of clips a lot easier for a user. When Auto is on, arming the track for record turns on the Input. The moment that you hit a record box, it starts recording the audio. If there is a clip playing, then there is no Input. If a clip is already playing, or triggered, it automatically switches to playback only.

Basically, if you have In chosen for input/output, you can get away with singing into the channel as wet as you want without having to use up a record enabled button. If however, you do actually record parts of your vocals and play them back from the channel, then you would still want to use Auto with the Record Enabled button.

theeggman85

Post by theeggman85 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:10 pm

I may be bumping this from hell, and if so I apologize.

Anyway, I've tried this setup with audio input instead of something else like guitar, but I seem to be having problems. The first loop records fine, but when I record the second loop, it always becomes slightly off from the first loop by about an 1/8 note. How can I get these loops to sync properly? Thanks

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:36 pm

nice bump, it's an awesome thread.

do the Live Lesson for Delay Compensation. it's not in the manual.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

theeggman85

Post by theeggman85 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:46 pm

That sounds very helpful...
Where can I find that lesson? Is it just something I can google or find, or is it buried in Ableton somewhere?

motherbrain5000

Post by motherbrain5000 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:04 pm

I do so get a kick out of how 5 years on this seemingly innocent tip is still alive and kicking.

rock on.

Marc

"motherbrain"

http://www.marcosborn.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlhkN9EP8wA
Last edited by motherbrain5000 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:27 pm

/tips hat to Motherbrain.
theeggman85 wrote:That sounds very helpful...
Where can I find that lesson? Is it just something I can google or find, or is it buried in Ableton somewhere?
I haven't fired up the lessons in a while. I think they're under the File menu. the manual shows how to get to the Lessons.

or search for my name and 'delay compensation.'
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 2#p1105172
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

theeggman85

Post by theeggman85 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:34 am

I found the tutorial, and went into Options --> Preferences --> Audio and fiddled with the Driver Error Compensation dial. Unfortunately, this affected the sync time in a very small amount, and I wasn't able to fix the near 1/8 count-off syncing problem I am having with my live clips. Can anyone please give instructions to fix this? Sorry for being so nooby, but I'm not a professional at this stuff and just like to do it for fun.

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:24 pm

how are you syncing he audio source?
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

theeggman85

Post by theeggman85 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:29 pm

Not quite sure what you mean... but I'm using the exact setup as described in the first post of this thread but using my laptop microphone for the audio input. I'm not really doing anything specifically to "sync" the audio, but my loops are set at 4-bar lengths.