Non-drummer using ableton: Drums never sound human enough!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Herman the German

Re: Non-drummer using ableton: Drums never sound human enough!

Post by Herman the German » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:32 pm

Hi ThumbsDown,
have you already heard about Jamstix? If not, I would suggest to check this VSTi.
You can download a test version on http://www.rayzoon.com.

All the best
Herman

timday

Post by timday » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:28 pm

As well as the above, you can set up round robin sampling pretty easily in a drum rack with a sampler and the MIDI random plugin in it - you can get it to work either random or sequential. Use a few different hits of the same drum from a track or record it yourself if you have the gear. Then the sound of the hits will vary a little in a natural way even if other parameters like velocity are the same.

Also if you have several hits in a file like some of the Ableton library samples you can velocity layer them - loud hits are not just quiet hits played louder, there is a difference in the sound quality as well.

It's a bit of work but you can reuse the kits, and not every drum within the kit needs this much attention.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:49 pm

Jamstix...

one the many things i tried that doesn't work (spent way too much time and $$$ on it)

after listening to tons of demos and other ppls efforts, i concluded no one has produced or ever can produce a drum track that sounds realistic with that thing

i do not recommend it

BobSubgenius

Post by BobSubgenius » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:34 pm

What works good for me is recording drums on a midi controller instead of programming everything with the mouse. Padcontroller or keyboard, doesn't matter.
Don't only record 2 bar loops and copy paste them, really play the entire song or at least longer sections. Depending on your skills on the controller (mine are quite poor compared to some folks on youtube :)) I recommend doing HH, snare/kick, cymbals in separate takes.
Then either quantize a bit or edit out the mistakes by hand.

Good trick with programmed, perfectly quantized midi drums is to use the groove pool. Just pick a groove (doesn't matter which one since we are not going to use the actual groove) and use the "random" function to randomize the beat a bit. Set all other controls in the groove pool to zero.
There is also a midi effect in Live called "velocity". This one has a random parameter as well (so you also can randomize the dynamics of every single hit).