Mono vs Stereo on Ableton

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Sebastian

Mono vs Stereo on Ableton

Post by Sebastian » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:27 am

Hi peeps

It seems Ableton only has Stereo channels?

So how come i dont see two pan knobs on the same channel?

How would I pan hard right and left a stereo channel that lives in one track only?

How do I create mono tracks?

thanks
Live Suite 9, RME Fireface 800, Mac Book Pro, Sierra

mr.adl

Re: Mono vs Stereo on Ableton

Post by mr.adl » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:50 am

To have a track mono do it like in this picture:

chrk

Post by chrk » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:45 am

mr.adl wrote:To have a track mono do it like in this picture:
That won't change the TRACK to mono, it chooses one CHANNEL as a mono input to record a mono sample. That's perfect for future recordings, but won't help you with stereo samples that only have a signal in one CHANNEL.

Read the paragraph on the Channel Mode chooser of the Utility effect here: Live Audio Effect Reference — Ableton Reference Manual Version 9 | Ableton to hear only one channel centered.

Two pan knobs? That would work for dual mono, but Live doesn't offer this, and since Live really has only stereo tracks (see Routing and I/O — Ableton Reference Manual Version 9 | Ableton) the're not really pan knobs at all but ballance knobs.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:11 pm

I was working with a similar issue this weekend. I was trying to cut little pieces of a previously-recorded audio track to make small samples. I tried using Utility to combine the two stereo halves into a mono track so that my samples would include the entire sonic source.

I tried recording the track (through Utility) to another track. What I got was a stereo track with silence on one side.

I tried bouncing the track with the "convert to Mono" button on. This made it look like a mono track in Ableton, but I found I couldn't cut samples small enough.

So I downloaded Wavosaur and guess what? The bounced mono track from Ableton loaded as stereo!!? It seems Ableton only hid the stereo encoding. Wavosaur has an actual "convert to Mono" feature and that's what I finally used to get my little mono samples. It also allows you to delete one side of the stereo pair, if that's what you'd rather do.

Wavosaur is donation-ware, in case you don't already have it.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:52 am

chrk wrote:
mr.adl wrote:To have a track mono do it like in this picture:
That won't change the TRACK to mono, it chooses one CHANNEL as a mono input to record a mono sample. That's perfect for future recordings, but won't help you with stereo samples that only have a signal in one CHANNEL.

Read the paragraph on the Channel Mode chooser of the Utility effect here: Live Audio Effect Reference — Ableton Reference Manual Version 9 | Ableton to hear only one channel centered.

Two pan knobs? That would work for dual mono, but Live doesn't offer this, and since Live really has only stereo tracks (see Routing and I/O — Ableton Reference Manual Version 9 | Ableton) the're not really pan knobs at all but ballance knobs.

MANUAL says this. Its very confusing.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:55 am

IN CAPS MY COMMENTS TO THE MANUAL:
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/routi ... onversions

When a mono signal is chosen as an audio track’s input, the track will record mono samples OK. SO IT DOES RECORD A MONO SIGNAL IN MONO?

Otherwise it will record stereo samples. OTHERWISE WHAT?

Signals in the track’s device chain are always stereo, even when the track’s input is mono or when the track plays mono samples. WHAT???

Mono is turned into stereo simply by using the identical signal for left and right channels. When a track is routed into a mono output, the left and right signals are added together and attenuated by 6 dB to avoid clipping.
GREAT. TOTALLY MORE CONFUSING. LOL

I dont understand/

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:56 am

Let me re-ask by example:

Say I record my real Bass into Audio track.... record as Mono or Stereo? What do I do in Ableton?

Say I record an Ableton MIDI Synth....? Stereo? How?

How about Guitar?

thanks!

clement.m

Post by clement.m » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:00 am

If you record on an audio track with a single physical input, like for example, your bass guitar in Input 1 of your sound card, Ableton will record it in Mono. The file will be a mono canal file.
Any other way of creating an audio file (freezing, consolidate, resampling, etc…) will end up with a Stereo file, even if the source and processing chain was Mono. Let's say you have a mono Analog synth with mono effects behind and want to freeze it, Ableton will create a Stereo file.

So I sort of agree with you that, though you can have Mono sources, Ableton seems to treat everything like stereo.
MacMini i7 2,3GHz 16GB RAM - 10.10.5 - Suite 9.6 - http://clementmarion.be

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:57 pm

clement.m wrote:If you record on an audio track with a single physical input, like for example, your bass guitar in Input 1 of your sound card, Ableton will record it in Mono. The file will be a mono canal file.
Any other way of creating an audio file (freezing, consolidate, resampling, etc…) will end up with a Stereo file, even if the source and processing chain was Mono. Let's say you have a mono Analog synth with mono effects behind and want to freeze it, Ableton will create a Stereo file.

So I sort of agree with you that, though you can have Mono sources, Ableton seems to treat everything like stereo.
Nice explanation. I think I get it now. :)
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:01 am

To handle problematic tracks (eg mono sound in only L side of stereo), and do the various stereo operations - use the Utility device. This gives access to the advanced stereo and multi channel operations. Eg, use only L side, or to bring L & R toward the center, then move that center, or to subtract L from R, and R from L. Etc, etc.

liverick

Post by liverick » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:21 pm

I'm not sure this answers any specific questions, but it's pretty easy to make a stereo panning knob with an audio rack and two utility devices mapped to the same macro knob on the rack. There may be some details it doesn't handle, but it works pretty well in many cases.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue May 13, 2014 12:33 am

Sebastian wrote:Hi peeps

It seems Ableton only has Stereo channels?

So how come i dont see two pan knobs on the same channel?

How would I pan hard right and left a stereo channel that lives in one track only?

How do I create mono tracks?

thanks
Simplest way would be to use a Utility effect and take the width to zero.

But that said if the track is truly mono, Live will play it in mono even though it is on a stereo track.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Tue May 13, 2014 12:46 pm

Thank you all.

One last question:

What is the dif between recording on 1 vs 1/2?

chrk

Post by chrk » Tue May 13, 2014 1:01 pm

Sebastian wrote:What is the dif between recording on 1 vs 1/2?
The number of channels(!) of the resulting audiofile.
1 is a mono source into a mono file, perfect for sources like one microphone, one guitar... - you wouldn't run into the panning (balancing) problems like you've done.
1/2 is a stereo input into a stereo file, sources like a stereo microphone or two microphones, guitar through stereo effects processor... - bad if you want to record a mono source: you'll get a stereo file with signal only on one channel.

unix23

Post by unix23 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:43 pm

Simplest way would be to use a Utility effect and take the width to zero.

But that said if the track is truly mono, Live will play it in mono even though it is on a stereo track.
Give this guy a cookie, he's 100% right, the sound would already be mono, though recorded onto a "stereo" track.

With a mono signal, both tracks have the exact same audio. If they do, there is by definition no "side" information that you'd hear with a mid/side encoder, which is what "width" does at numbers over 100%.