Can't start playback where midi edit marker is (vs. arrgmnt)

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
ohryan

Re: Can't start playback where midi edit marker is (vs. arrgmnt)

Post by ohryan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:59 pm

I know, it seems like a very simple thing that you should be able to hotkey+click to set the playback in the editor. don't know why you cannot.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=204536&p=1763122&hi ... k#p1763122

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=236483&p=1765386&hi ... k#p1765386

Tennor

Post by Tennor » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:55 am

When a loop is activated it should start from the beginning of the loop point every time when pressing the space bar and not a selected audio event within the loop.
It's fine to start from a selected event if the loop is not activated.

Christian_R

Post by Christian_R » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:46 pm

I also want a solution for this. In Arrangement view you can press Alt + Space anywhere inside the MIDI clip, so I find it very annoying that this option is not in Session view. It's a very effective way to modify notes within the MIDI clip, so there must be a way, I hope.

Anyone got a clue? :)

Chouch21

Post by Chouch21 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:52 pm

The Space bar is THE BIGGEST problem in Ableton Live.

Each time I'm selecting a Midi clip to slightly change one note and press the space bar, it starts from the beginning of the clip and not where I was.
First, I need to stop it, then search for where I was in the timeline, then click in the arrangement view, then hit spacebar and listen. If, I have to change another note, I have to re-do the process all over again. It really ruins the workflow.

My question is: who needs the playback to start from the beginning of the clip? In which case this is relevant?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:49 pm

Chouch21 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:52 pm
My question is: who needs the playback to start from the beginning of the clip? In which case this is relevant?
I do, quite often. I tend to make a lot of edits and want to hear it in context of the whole clip.

If you want to resume play instead of restart play, press SHIFT + SPACE which will resume from where you stopped.

You cannot, however, do what is requested in this thread and that is to place a play marker in a session clip to start from as that would need to shift all clips by that amount in playback and that isn't how Session is designed.

LunaticSound

Post by LunaticSound » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:33 pm

Has this not been improved?

Or is there any progress on this front?

It´s killing my vibe honestly.

mariusgm

Post by mariusgm » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:11 pm

Chouch21 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:52 pm
The Space bar is THE BIGGEST problem in Ableton Live.

Each time I'm selecting a Midi clip to slightly change one note and press the space bar, it starts from the beginning of the clip and not where I was.
First, I need to stop it, then search for where I was in the timeline, then click in the arrangement view, then hit spacebar and listen. If, I have to change another note, I have to re-do the process all over again. It really ruins the workflow.
My exact thoughts too. My workflow is killed, desperate for a workaround for this

JD313

Post by JD313 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:12 am

Seriously Ableton please just make playback in arrangement view as intuitive and easy as other DAWs like FL. It's crazy that I even have to use shift-space.

slinky831

Post by slinky831 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:12 pm

I agree. Spacebar should start playback from wherever the cursor is blinking in the midi edit window, regardless of where it was last was in the global edit window. This is how it works in logic pro and extremely inconvenient to have to click with the mouse on the timeline speaker icon or have to click up in the global edit window to get the global cursor in the right place before pushing spacebar.

The global timeline location/cursor should be synced with the midi edit timeline/cursor and you shoudl be able to play with spacebar regardless of whether you are in the global window or the midi edit window.