Can't start playback where midi edit marker is (vs. arrgmnt)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Juicefriend

Can't start playback where midi edit marker is (vs. arrgmnt)

Post by Juicefriend » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:16 am

Dear Gurus of Ableton Live,

I've noticed a weird thing--I'm editing a lot in the midi window, and I'd like to start playing where my last edit occurred. Instead, when I hit play, Live starts playing where the global arrangement marker is. Which could be quite a ways back.

What I can't figure out is, every now and then, I can get the playback to begin where the midi marker is, but it seems to be at random!

Any advice would be really appreciated!

NoSonic822

Re: Can't start playback where midi edit marker is (vs. arrgmnt)

Post by NoSonic822 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:45 am

mouse over the timeline in the clip view until the speaker icon shows up and press your mouse button....you have to be inside the loop markers though... make sure "permanent scrubareas is on in the preferences

Juicefriend

Post by Juicefriend » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:55 am

Dear Inversoundzzz,

Thanks for your fast response!

Sorry, I should be more clear, I can do the mouseover with speaker icon, but it feels a bit imprecise, esp if I'm already playing the song and want to just hit spacebar. The speaker waits for the next quantized moment, it seems, before it'll loop.

What I'm trying to figure out is that if I click on a particular note or area in the midi space, why is it that 90% of the time, that location isn't where playback starts, but every once in a while, it is. And the latter is what I'd like to have all the time!

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:59 am

it should playback exactly where you click it....it is you r global quantize setting i think. change to 1/32 etc.

Juicefriend

Post by Juicefriend » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:23 am

Thanks again!

It does play back where I click, but if the song is already playing, it waits until the appropriate "quantized" measure--that can be a whole 4 measures, etc.

There must be a way to use the spacebar to start and pause at the location that I'm editing while in the midi area! That's so weird to me that it's not an option. The speaker icon isn't practical as I'm often on the keyboard with one hand, where all the other transport options are, while the other is using the keyboard or editor!

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:33 am

so change your global quant settings from 4 bars to 1/16th of a bar.......you're not getting what I'm saying are you..... :D

Juicefriend

Post by Juicefriend » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:59 am

I am! I don't think that's a good solution--because the rest of the time, when I'm in sample selection window on the left, or when I'm doing other tracking, I need the quantization to be where it is set. :)

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:19 am

What I'm trying to figure out is that if I click on a particular note or area in the midi space, why is it that 90% of the time, that location isn't where playback starts, but every once in a while, it is. And the latter is what I'd like to have all the time!
but it is where it starts....you go into a clip and edit your midi notes....you press play in the clip, it starts playing the arrangement at that very point in the clip/arrangement........you go to another midi clip and you you edit that one, you press play in that clip, it plays the arrangement starting at that point in the arrangment......I don't follow what your issue is.....I must be missing something here...lol

Juicefriend

Post by Juicefriend » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:41 pm

First, THANK YOU for not abandoning this thread--and thank you for asking to understand!

Second, basically, let's say I'm editing a midi clip that starts at 90 marker. I'm editing a few notes 4 bars into that midi clip (so it's at 94.) If I hit space bar, Live starts playing at 90, not 94. Even if I click on the vertical line on 94. I don't want to use the speaker, because I may want to do 2-3 edits in short order and hit space bar to start at 94 every time. But for some reason, Live doesn't allow me to. It's a minor workflow issue which is enormously annoying, especially if the midi clip is long (like 20 bars)

Does that help?

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:28 am

Juicefriend wrote:First, THANK YOU for not abandoning this thread--and thank you for asking to understand!

Second, basically, let's say I'm editing a midi clip that starts at 90 marker. I'm editing a few notes 4 bars into that midi clip (so it's at 94.) If I hit space bar, Live starts playing at 90, not 94. Even if I click on the vertical line on 94. I don't want to use the speaker, because I may want to do 2-3 edits in short order and hit space bar to start at 94 every time. But for some reason, Live doesn't allow me to. It's a minor workflow issue which is enormously annoying, especially if the midi clip is long (like 20 bars)

Does that help?
Yea i understand now. When you go into a clip to edit it, the arrangment then plays from the start of the clip instead of where you stopped the arrangment before editing the clip. Honestly I've never had an issure with that, so it must be the way you are working on your projects or the type of songs you're doing. One suggest is to drag the clip view down like drag from the top of the clipview window so that both the arrangment view and the clip view are visible....this could help generally reminding you of the region you left off at (because you can see both the arrangement and the clip your editing simultaneously)....or you could just set an arrangment marker...that's prolly not suitable though if your clicking different stop points frequently...

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:49 am

Have you tried using cmd/ctrl-spacebar or shift-spacebar? That will cause the transport to start where it stopped, instead of the beginning of wherever.
ImageImage

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:00 am

shadx312 wrote:Have you tried using cmd/ctrl-spacebar or shift-spacebar? That will cause the transport to start where it stopped, instead of the beginning of wherever.
wow that does work, wher the hell have you been :P

Juicefriend

Post by Juicefriend » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:51 pm

Yes! That's exactly the issue, Inver. Basically I have sometimes quite long drum midi sequences, and I'm moving like 3-4 notes, and I'd like to hear how those notes sound, often in rapid succession as I make changes. And then I move on to the next set, etc.

The issue is that right now, I change the notes, say in the middle of the Clip, I then go to Arrangement view, click roughly at that area, then press play to listen to the changes. Otherwise, it starts at the beginning of that entire clip. To make things worse, when I move to the next set of notes, I have to remember to "reset" the playback in the Arrangement view again.

It's very odd that the two views aren't sync'ed, like they are in every other program, including Logic.

ARRRRGGGGH! So inefficient!

owlking

Post by owlking » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:12 am

This is literally infuriating me. I'm coming from another DAW and in said DAW, I could simply quickly drag some bars across the time to create a "loop" where I'd work on the section. That's not really possible to do here, at least in the amount of time I'd like to, so the best bet is to just smash the space bar over and over again; the problem is, it plays back from BFE, where I don't want it to. Ugh. :( UGHHHH!!!!! I watched some dudes on YouTube do it and they have to click in the global arrangement....like...REALLY!? And Option+SpaceBar on a mac sucks! So...I tried to hotkey it to CMD+Spacebar, but guess, what: Ableton has these hard-wired key bindings that you can't change, even in System Preferences.... kill me now.

gbert

Post by gbert » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:38 pm

I agree. You should be able to click within the clip view to set the play point. Clicking in the upper area of the clip view to get the speaker icon to appear is tedious. Same for having to go up to the arrangement view to set the play point, when all the work is being done in the clip at the time. This is one of those small workflow changes that would make a big improvement to Live.