Can't start playback where midi edit marker is (vs. arrgmnt)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Spillover

Re: Can't start playback where midi edit marker is (vs. arrgmnt)

Post by Spillover » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:11 am

The most absurd thing is that it is not possible to set a listening start point in the clip views. It is absolutely absurd that you have to set the starting point in the arrangement window in order to work while editing midi notes in the clip view window. Sure it is possible with the speaker icon to jump the listening point from one point to another, but that position is not stored after doing stop and play. Just get rid of that damn green triangle in the arrangement and leave only a triangle (blue, orange, pink, whatever color you like) where you place the mouse, and let it stay there until you decide to move it.
But what's even crazier is that if you launch a project and, before you do anything else, you immediately start editing a clip in clip view, then if you click anywhere in the background of the clip while you're in stop, you can start at that point with SPACE and it will respect it until you change it. And it's a delight!!! (This is possible because the green triangle in the arrangement window has not yet been generated). But as soon as you click in the arrangement window that damn green triangle appears, in addition to the one that mirrored the other in the clip view, and from then on it will control the playhead's start forever. Actually you can still set a playhead in the stop state when you are in clip view, but you have to use Alt+SPACE to make it start, and that is a real pain especially when you are doing intensive midi editing in clip view. :(

Jay Wiley

Post by Jay Wiley » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:16 pm

Came here as a longtime Cubase user. Seriously considered making the switch.

Not being able to freely set the start point for the playhead.... WHAT???????? Are you guys nuts????

I'm in utter disbelief! This is Ableton v11, not some half-baked beta testing start-up version.

No customizable keyboard shortcuts either???

I think I'll just move to North Korea and shoot myself.

Amen

:evil:

cmprvndncr

Post by cmprvndncr » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:44 pm

Agreed. This is the worst. Also this forum is one of the most outdated on the interwebs. Makes Ableton look so bad.

mariusgm

Post by mariusgm » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:27 pm

Who's still checking in here lol, any new workarounds out there?