Technique for writing compositions and songwriting

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
2beats

Technique for writing compositions and songwriting

Post by 2beats » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:22 pm

Over the years producing music I have found myself getting a little stuck when it came to my music's composition. Eventually I figured out a technique to help keep me inspired and moving on with my track.

Here is an article I wrote that breaks down my technique for writing compositions with ableton live.
http://subaqueousmusic.com/quick-and-ea ... on-tricks/

I also made a youtube video that walks through how to do it. Sharing this in the hopes of inspiring other people and keeping the music flowing.

Isaac Cotec aka Subaqueous

tecolo

Re: Technique for writing compositions and songwriting

Post by tecolo » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:28 pm

Hi there! I am curious (genuinely) why there needs to be a drop or "chorus" or whatever element - predefined? Is it a rule of modern EDM or something? I am getting far better results when not knowing where i am going in predefined manner. Just letting creativity born itself.

Naming your song parts above the rest of stuff is great obviously but it makes me wonder - you do realize there are locators in Ableton Live which exist exactly for that purpose? To be on top of your composition, and to name elements. You can even key switch between them for quick navigation. You did not mentioned them but they are neat as well.

But great tut for anyone looking into Live !

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:34 am

Combinations of Markers and the above method can be very handy to assist in finishing compositions.

In regards to "pre defining" the layout this can be of benefit because much of what we listen too has a structure that we are use to. It isn't a rule but if you have a coloured layout of what you want to create it can be easier to find elements to just fill these blocks. Additionally, if you don't know what your breakdown or chorus will be yet you can simply create a basic filler and move further into your song and go back later.

I think you will find if you work with others creating such as a writer and lyricist then having a format to stick too is much easier.

Personally, I try and create as many elements and drum patterns as possible in clip view then play/sequence these out roughly into a track and use markers to mark where I should expect a rise, fill, drum roll, crash etc etc and then go back and focus on each marker until all are gone.

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:53 am

Nice trick, I do it with markers, but after the creative process (otherwise I feel myself toooo much bound to a predictable theme), when it comes to the mixing and adding of effects. So I have a better overview.

tecolo

Post by tecolo » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:40 am

Yep color coding is neat for faster eye navigation..