USE LIVE AS A BEAT SLICER?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
the bite

USE LIVE AS A BEAT SLICER?

Post by the bite » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:33 am

Hello guys!
this is my first post, I,m not a native english speaker, so sorry if i made errors...
Well the other day I saw a post that says:

"Beat slicing is the easiest thing to do in Live. Mind you, I always work in Arranger mode for everything. Take loop, warp it nicely if needed, click on transients, click Apple+E to slice, done. I can re-arrange directly on the timeline or bring all the slices into Impulse if I'm feeling trigger-happy. In under a minute, an 8 bar loop now has multiple slices I can individually pitch, reverse, gate, shorten, process (just slip it onto an adjacent track), etc. Gotta love it."

Well I,m lost at this point i have a PC and I don,t Know how to do this...
I don,t understand "click on transients"...I don,t know how to obtain multiples and individually slices from a single clip.
Please I feel happy if someone tell me how to do this...

Thanks and sorry if it,s too obvious...

wilsonrx

Post by wilsonrx » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:41 am

Transients are the spiky bits you see when you look at a waveform. Open a bassdrum sample in a sample editor. See the "hit" at the start of the sample? Thats a transient. I think. 8O
Broadcasting LIVE every Sunday 6-8pm GMT on Point Blank FM.
90.2FM in London | http://www.pointblank.fm

http://www.djrobfrancis.com | http://www.soundcloud.com/djrobfrancis

Ableton Live v8 | Macbook Pro 15" 2.0Ghz Sandybridge | Custom PC

the bite

Post by the bite » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:55 am

Thanks Wilsonrx, but this is not the problem. I know what a transient is but i dont know how to do this:

"Take loop, warp it nicely if needed, click on transients, click Apple+E to slice, done"

The Crtl + E button on PC is for rename clips. I don,t know any command to slice individual clips...

the bite

Post by the bite » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:57 am

Thanks Wilsonrx, but this is not the problem. I know what a transient is but i dont know how to do this:

"Take loop, warp it nicely if needed, click on transients, click Apple+E to slice, done"

The Crtl + E button on PC is for rename clips. I don,t know any command to slice individual clips...

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:09 am

in arrangement

- hold alt
- click on the track so you see a flashing red line
- press control & E

its now cut at that point, as you should see.

remember to zoom in to get finer cuts

I tend to mute the original track and copy the chunks over onto a new track to form the new beat

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:21 am

You can also use the Impulse as a primitive slicer. Chop your loop into eight parts in arrangement view. Drag each slice onto an Impulse slot. Set each slot to gate mode (perhaps). Draw in a MIDI pattern that triggers the loop slices in any order and timing you like.

the bite

Post by the bite » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:42 am

Thanks guys!
I was lost because i was expecting something more automated, now I see this is a low process because you have to cut the individual slices by hand.
But i understand the process..Thanks