live looping with live and a 6 piece acid jazz combo - video

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
kimyo

live looping with live and a 6 piece acid jazz combo - video

Post by kimyo » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:35 am

1st off, thanks to marc osborn and montrealbreaks. their tips have significantly improved my live setup, especially marc's trick of assigning keys to corresponding tracks (z-1, x-2, c-3...Z-9, X-10, C-11...). my brain doesn't hurt anymore.

we commandeered a killer video studio last night and looped our brains right out. we started songs with individual/group loops, played songs w/o looping, just using live as the mixer (awesome), jumped out of loops in the middle of a song. it was an amazing experience. live was totally reliable, incredibly flexible, and quite musical.

each musician has his/her own channel/channels. we had an acoustic stand up bass, two luscious vocalists, fiddle, drums/perc ala "stomp", and yours truly on guit/keys/live.

i used a variant of this setup: www.iosonic.com/livelooping.als

i've posted one of the tracks here:
www.iosonic.com/video/goitalone.wmv
www.iosonic.com/video/goitalone.mov
it is a cover of beck's "go it alone". hopefully he won't sue us.......

more soon......

kim

Rex

Post by Rex » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:40 am

Cool video! Looks like fun!
1st off, thanks to marc osborn and montrealbreaks. their tips have significantly improved my live setup, especially marc's trick of assigning keys to corresponding tracks (z-1, x-2, c-3...Z-9, X-10, C-11...)
Could you elaborate on this trick, or point me at the thread?

Thanks!

kimyo

Post by kimyo » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:47 pm

i don't think that there is a thread on this.

using key mapping (ctrl-k) marc assigns a key to each track (click on the track header, then hit the appropriate key).

he uses semi-diagonal columns - so - for instance column one (under the "1" - q,a,z keys) will control/effect track one. the "z" brings up the track so that you can see which effects are active. in my setup "a" turns eq on/off for track 1, and "q" turns on/off another effect.

he then used capitalized keys (Q,A,Z) in a similar fashion, either for track one again, or, as i do, for track 9 and beyond.....

kim

Rex

Post by Rex » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:16 am

Thanks!

radder

Post by radder » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:56 am

wow this is awesome, thank you so much for posting it! it's about time someone did something like this with good video footage :) :)
myspace.com/raddermusic || soundcloud.com/a-radder || Thinkpad R61 / 3GB RAM / Echo Audiofire 4

kimyo

Post by kimyo » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:14 pm

montrealbreaks

Re: live looping with live and a 6 piece acid jazz combo - v

Post by montrealbreaks » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:55 am

kimyo wrote:1st off, thanks to marc osborn and montrealbreaks. their tips have significantly improved my live setup,
Heh. I remember exchanging messages with you Kimyo. I'm glad to see whatever I said worked out for you. Not that I remember what we discussed - I had to go on a message deleting binge a few months ago.

;)

Go figure!

I'm downloading those movies as we speak... The hotel I'm in has a shitso slow speed connection, and they'll take about three hours... I'm looking forward to checking those movies out tomorrow morning!

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs