Looping single "drone" note ???

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
erikomic

Looping single "drone" note ???

Post by erikomic » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:59 pm

Hi all,

I've been trying to do something apparently quite simple in session view.

Starting a drone single note in midi, then hit the "record in the cell" to start a clip with global settings set on 4 bars. Then hit the record again so it does loop my midi note for the whole length of the clip without having to go in edit mode and mess with the handles.
It somehow seems to always wait for another round of 4 bars before it can track the "note on" message to actually play the four bars of drone note.
Like if there was some "override" giving priority to the incoming "note off" from my keyboard that comes later than the "note on" of the recorded drone
Am I missing something ?
Any suggestions ?
Any turnaround ?

chapelier fou

Re: Looping single "drone" note ???

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:02 am

Leave the play marker, move the loop brace somewhere after the play marker and before the end of the note.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

erikomic

Post by erikomic » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:41 am

Thank you Chapelier Fou (toujours sur la balle hein !)

Well I meant a real "live" loop (like a loopstation but in midi with single note), without needing to touch the loop braces.

It seems that when getting out of the loop and that it plays the 1st pass the "note on" from my keyboard takes over rather than the recorded loop so when I release that note, it doesn't read the recorded drone loop until next pass so I have always a blank soundless bit when releasing the drone.

I think I have found a strange turnaround to do that but I still have to test it further...

To be continued...

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:49 pm

Why don't you route the output of your MIDI track to an audio track and sample from there ?
Sorry if i don't get it
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1