Sending MIDI program change...

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
allochthon

Sending MIDI program change...

Post by allochthon » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:28 pm

I am (desperately) attempting to send a MIDI program change message from Ableton to a MIDI-to-CV device. I have read the Ableton article about how to do this, but it doesn't seem to affect the external device in any way (I'm trying to invert the CV trigger).

The setup is PC to Steinberg UR22 then MIDI out to a Doepfer Dark Link. For a MIDI controller I use a microKorg.

I've read the help article, watched the only tutorial I could find addressing program changes and am still completely baffled... has anyone successfully sent a program change from Ableton, and, if so, could you please enlighten me as to how to successfully accomplish this task?

I wrote with Doepfer pleading for them to explain how to send a program change to their product, but they very condescendingly sent a link to a Google search... Great.

alpertt

Re: Sending MIDI program change...

Post by alpertt » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:39 pm

Create a dummy midi clip with program change message. When you launch the clip the program will change.
http://scr.hu/24f4/83kmc

Alternative: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=512

ps: I've only used program change for software instruments, i don't know how well these works with hardware inst..

allochthon

Post by allochthon » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:15 pm

Well, I've tried every conceivable MIDI setup to send the program change info and the damn thing won't change. I'm more replying to this to bump it in order to get some more eyes.

Am I to assume that anytime Ableton is sending MIDI info out that it will be sending the program change info, or does it send it at a specific time or...??

There's no way for me to monitor the status of the device that I am sending it to other than with my ears. What I have been doing is setting up a MIDI track with a sequence and setting the program change to the desired #, then hitting play. I can monitor the sequence being sent to the converter then to the analog synth, and it never changes. What it should do is invert the gate control voltage.

The manufacturer (Doepfer) did not include any other info beyond the program change # (e.g., bank, etc).

Any suggestions? This is turning into particularly annoying albatross...

proskelley

Post by proskelley » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:30 pm

:idea: I had to use the program change feature within my AKAI MPK25 MIDI controller to get the Dark Link to recognize the program change after pressing the learn button, as it would never seem to accept the program change being sent from my PC through my UR44 sound card (or directly through USB) using MIDI-OX to send the MIDI CC messages.

I hope this helps, as I was left a little puzzled myself.