qwerty Keyboard mapping not work when Ableton its minimized?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
KMLSound

qwerty Keyboard mapping not work when Ableton its minimized?

Post by KMLSound » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:55 am

Hi guys, I'm new to Ableton forums so I'm happy to contribute with an a question.

I'm deejay and radio deejay and I use Traktor and Ableton together througn JackAudio (in Windows, similar to SoundFlower in Mac).

OK, when I'm mixing in traktor and playing with my Akai MKP25, everything it's ok, the keys produces and action in ableton and I can play song with the keyboard.

However....

When I map an a key of my qwerty standard keyboard, for example, mute a track in ableton, the key only works when ableton window are in front and has the focus... If I'm mixing with Traktor the key don't work... 8O :cry:

Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks!

chrk

Re: qwerty Keyboard mapping not work when Ableton its minimized?

Post by chrk » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:12 am

KMLSound wrote:the key only works when ableton window are in front and has the focus...
I wouldn't expect anything else from a computer keyboard binding. Though there are applications that allow to assign keys as global (systemwide) hotkeys (e.g. foobar2000), Live is not one of them.

Imagine, I had globally assigned the letter "e" to mute/unmute a track Live, while I type. Now, count the "e"s in this post...

Btw. inside Live F1 to F8 are predefined to mute/unmute Tracks 1 to 8 anyway.

Get another controller with some pads for this.