Ableton Live 4 + Trigger Finger

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
EcL1pZ

Ableton Live 4 + Trigger Finger

Post by EcL1pZ » Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:53 am

Hey all

I am new here, just registered... I bought the M-Audio Trigger Finger, (along with their ozone keyboard), and I got Ableton Live Lite, and upgraded to the full version of 4. I am a native Video editor.. work on Avid, and Canopus, so this stuff isn't too far from me.. but I am very new to MIDI in general. I got the trigger finger to use only for drums.

The good old forum search feature is great.. searched for trigger finger, and I am reading up on all the posts, but I was wondering if anyone who uses Trigger Finger, has any good setup or chosen presets for drums /w usage in Live 4? The whole preset things is killing me and like having to assign everything one by one.. I didn't know things would be so complicated. M-Audios website gave the sample preset from their demo video of trigger finger.. thank god, and I loaded that, and thats what I have been doing. Eventually my goal is to create music with the ozone keyboard.. and use trigger finger for beats only for some movies I am working on.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions (or any presets someone can send me :) )

Jbo

I hear ya

Post by Jbo » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:39 am

I know what you mean about "learning curve", but do remember to "mix it up" while you work hard be sure to play even harder, never allowing fun to be diminished, to your best ability, of course,
But I am afraid I have no idea, whatsoever of your program as, I never saw the "lite" version, or what it is that makes it "lite".......
Most people will be the same way, not familiar with the lite program.....
So, don't just assume everyone is ignoring you because of any certain thing, its just like the rest of the internet here, no frills, no real intimacy.
But I am very interested in being your friend,indeed, since I have a very limited amount of exposure to video and I will be wanting it, a lot more than ever before soon, and, a friend with knowledge is an asset indeed... I will make no bones I always have a selfish motive , for every thing I ever do.
ps:
also ,I am not familiar with your other application either,(sorry) :oops: I just mainly wanted to tell you "keep the faith" and "don't stop mak'in music!" :D :D :D

pc soundcard xphome AbletonLivev4 midikeyboards China Strat..... Garritan vst instruments ........(midi-me)

EcL1pZ

Post by EcL1pZ » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:20 am

Hey

Thanks, I upgraded to the full version. I figured I couldn't do what I needed with Lite, (and yeah what you said, about people not knowing much about lite), so I bought the full version. :)

Sure, I can help ya with whatever you need. Just gimme a msg. What do you do with your setup?

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:58 am

Hi EcL1pZ! Welcome to the forums! :D :!:

I use the Trigger Finger with Live and the Enigma software. Did you try this (Enigma)? Because I find that makes it a breeze to program the Trigger Finger.

It's just a matter of deciding on what control you need for your drums. I use it with either my Elektron Machinedrum or Short Circuit (sampler VSTi) to play drums. Do you need all pads to trig sounds with? Do you need individual or common aftertouch? Should you maybe save some pads to trig Live clips with? Or even control volume/fx like in the demo video? Do you want to make use of the knobs and sliders? If so - for a specific VSTi? Or as a Live remote controller?

Let me know - and I'll try and get you on your way!

Cheers,
Mikael

EcL1pZ

Post by EcL1pZ » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:03 am

Hey Mikael

Thanks for the welcome. Great crew we all have here. I did start messing around with Enigma. Still reading up on manuals upon manuals and posts.

Basically what I would really like is what was shown in the demo video. From the start, into where the scene changes at around 25 seconds, and then on while you have that overhead view of the pad.

As of now, I will not need any usage from the knobs. First thing I would like to do is to get rolling with using the pad only for drums :) You see all the other stuff you mentioned, Elektron Machinedrum, short circuit, etc, I have no idea what those are. All I was able to do so far was load the Ableton presets from the www.m-audio.com/trigger page, load it into ableton, and play with the provided sound samples, fun yes, but of course I want to get the most functionality.

While I continue to learn this equipment, any point in a general direction would be great. I don't want to take up everyones time and make it so you have to teach me step by step.. I just want to get the ball rolling :)

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:17 am

Are you aiming to use Impulse for your drum sounds? If so there is a preset already in the Trigger Finger. I forgot which number since I've switched mine around... But basically all you need is for the Trigger finger to send note on messages (C3-C4). If you set this up for pad 1-8 you still have eight to spare. Assign the pressure of these pads to CCs, say 30-37 on channel 5. Then make sure your Trigger Finger is chosen as a midi remote (might wanna read up on this in the manual chapter 22.2). Then you can assign you pads to control volume or fx in Live's mixer.

The possibilities are vast! Once you understand the principles of Live and MIDI - you'll be expanding your creative possibilities even more.

Cheers,
Mikael

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:09 am

Hi EcL1pZ.
What about using the trigger finger to trigger TWO impulse samplers? I figure that's what I would do.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:41 am

Machinate wrote:Hi EcL1pZ.
What about using the trigger finger to trigger TWO impulse samplers? I figure that's what I would do.
And then you could use the included preset, right out of the box!

Jbo

much more like it

Post by Jbo » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:01 am

past forum experiences leave me looking to the future with hope and faith..and I am very happy to see others responding to your initial plea, and with mutual experiences in gear, etc.. just as I'd hoped to see.. most times if a person isn't too impressed with me we get along fine, ut sometimes I may have an effect on folks which gets in the way of communications.
I think it may have to do with the fact that I am an actual musician who can actually play the instruments with reasonable proficiency which many only use digitally recorded samples of... me, I make my own samples as well as use the others already available.. I do not mean to intimidate anyone by this fact or my mentioning it.. at all I just wish I could get feedback.. in the years I been here I have not been given one acknowledgement regarding my mp3's I have made available to hear online and possibly give reactions to.. you think anyone wants to "give me the big head"?.
naw.

Or I suck so badly no-one has heart to give comment.. or maybe my song is too short or too long or, I donno.. I do think I have an accurate idea of it but I am here to tell you, there is so far, no one who has come from the Abe forum who has chosen to honor me with any feedback, but I know it will happen, ain't as worried about it as i could be.. i mean I do wonder about all the factors which go into the make-up of why or how any phenomenon does occur....I guess that riddle goes back as far as the quest to "write a hit record"... or "get a recording contract"..or any of the other buzz-words or phrases that seem to proliferate among our social structures inhabitant's inner "inhibitions" and
"aspirations"...and all the other teen-minded day-dreemz which lots and lots of us humanz never seem to stop having......
ciao, and once again,bravo!
ps please tell me all you can about your activities as you would like to do... I am very curious what inspired persons all over the globe are thinking and doing with respect to music, recording, singing, playing, acoustics and acousticians, tuners,axes, plexiglass, rockwool,sheetrock sound production and string physics and synthetics (anything you "piddle" with)... thats some of my interests..
........"have fun"..........(is possibly the most critically important "creed").....

pc soundcard xphome AbletonLivev4 midikeyboards China Strat..... Garritan vst instruments ........(midi-me)

Jbo

Sweden,Denmark,Queens,all sound that interest

Post by Jbo » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:05 am

I was re-reading your comment and wanted to respond as to what you inquired about much better than I had previously done ,although you may be saying "Oh, No, here he goes again", but I am going to be as parsed as possible.
I play keyboards, guitar. slide guitar, harmonica ,drums of all types... and vocals too but that is my weakest area, but I am now teaching myself as much as
I can, from allowing the experts all over the world to help me , the ones whom I have met and who are willing to help.. as most are... but the human element is so very special and vital really for a real complete "hookup"..so-to-speak......My best acheivements have been the one when I allowed human associations from all over to be involved..not that I have yet had that many so far of the type I soon hope to have had many of... as I am still very much a work in progress, although nearing the "autumn" of my life, and so I am very beset(is that a word?)"fixed'...on acheiving my goal of completing a set of compositions recorded and available while I am around to do it....and hopefully more than only one, and as i said before i would really want to have a DVD produced, but I know how much of a plan i currently still do not have..
But one must start somewhere.. and while i am way behind in my homework I am further behind in my meeting of my future partners and all that stuff.. all of which takes time and other factors, mainly I am just wanting to stay as close to the leading edge of my chosen craft (recording&performing music) as I possibly cannn... and knowing you can not hurt one bit
I have two DAW's but my monster is currently out of commision.
Basically what i do much of is playing my keyboards and their preformatted "riffs" and hopefully exploring and experimenting with all the different possibilities using variations in key, chord members, and genrechosen for auto-accompaniment as casio "plays" it..
Some great musicians sold their soul to the company they work for when they programmed those riffs in all those different genres on casio keyboards, and their imitations or similar competitors, etc..
I plan to give homage to those "robot boys in the box".. as my music relies in places very heavily on their blood, sweat,& tears... but I am fully intending on exploiting to my very best ability all the computer aids at my disposal.. that is what its for is it not?
Only I plan to weave my playing as the purist I truly am and the instrumentalism in the most basic form making up my sounds..only i must have other to help me... I simply must associate. period.

There will sometime, I cannot imagine when, but there will come a time(its really already now, for those with proper "clout")....when any two musicians or singers will not necessarily have to occupy the same physical proximity, in order to perform, together, or record together, or "Jam" together!!
I imagine it being with the use of fiber-optibut i still know it will be possible very soon for those who can afford the gear... to have a virtual reality of sort whereby we can do it all together, as if in the same room!!

I am trying to get my act together man.. still at my age, I am still working on my "firstLP".
I know I could've been successful in some ways long ago with the touring with a band trip, but I chose to be an "at home family man".. and take my chances working out my own compositions alone, but later add my best mentors and help if anyone will come along... Also I am off work after 25 years as an asbestos worker,it seems I have worked myself to a frazzle and my back is almost a 'wasteland'... I may look able to work, and I can work on computer and onstage but not in that god-damned pipe-rack.and my doctor mow says so, officially unable to work and I just need that judge to see things reasonably, when my hearing i've been waiting a year for arrives...
soon I expect to either be told I get my social security benefits into which I paid for 25 years or cheerfully be told why not.....(actually the latter is a non option... period... no,PERIOD

I hope what I do is a little clearer to you since you very graciously asked me about it....and keep this wonderful thread goin :D

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:18 am

Trigger Finger has velocity and aftertouch......

Don't waste it by just triggering clips.... Use it with something that can
make great sounds from that MIDI information.

-Ben

EcL1pZ

Post by EcL1pZ » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:30 am

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:
Machinate wrote:Hi EcL1pZ.
And then you could use the included preset, right out of the box!

I didn't get what you meant by that?

I can start by using Impulse for my drums, I guess eventaully I Can setup my own thing, but I want to start easy. I also just got the M-audio Ozone, which I was trying to get working in ableton .. haha another project for me to do. You think I should juse leave ozone pluged in and set the trigger to go through the ozone? Or should i have each in its own usb?

Long posts Jbo, I need to read them all again but I'll check out your site

EcL1pZ

Post by EcL1pZ » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:32 am

MrYellow wrote:Trigger Finger has velocity and aftertouch......

Don't waste it by just triggering clips.... Use it with something that can
make great sounds from that MIDI information.

-Ben

Hey Ben

I still don't know about the nature of such things. I'm still learning and so far all I really needed the TF for was drums. Maybe when I advance more and I realize the potential of this device, things might change.

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:48 am

Yeah was just jumpin in b4 reading the thread too deeply......

Triggering clips in live just requires very basic MIDI info, they just play.

Whereas drummachines use the extra data to control the way sounds are
played. Such as how loud.....

-Ben

EcL1pZ

Post by EcL1pZ » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:11 am

Ah right. I see my main fault in this whole process is the lack of the concepts behind Midi notes and assigning them, presets with the trigger finger, mapping out the notes, etc.

I pluged in the ozone keyboard and trigger finger each into its own USB, and I see a conflict arising... about inputs with ableton.. Do i just set both as inpuits? But then what bout with windows midi device that you set in audio settings.. I had asked before if running the TF through the ozone keyboard was a good option?