Problem with driver delay compensation setup

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
yhaemmerli

Problem with driver delay compensation setup

Post by yhaemmerli » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:08 pm

Hi,

I have real trouble to adjust my Scarlett 2i4 driver delay in Ableton 8 Live. When I record drums using analog input over an existing keayboard track, the recorded drums track is delayed... A followed the tutorial on how to adjust the driver delay, that says to connect a cable from let say output 1 of the Scarlett 2i4 to its input 2 and play the provided .als file (a simple kick sound). As the tutorial says, I see the original kick wave on the upper track and the recorded kick wave on the second track. However, I should see the recorded wave a bit delayed compared with the original wave (due to the Scarlett i24 processing time). I should see a no-signal line preceding the start of the recorded wave. In fact, I don't see this no-signal line and everything looks like as the recorded wave would be "in advance" compared with the original signal...

Does anybody know this problem ?

Thank you for any tips or information

Yves

JoshG567

Re: Problem with driver delay compensation setup

Post by JoshG567 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:40 pm

DEC can go both ways; Live can over or under-estimate hardware's latency.

I too have a Scarlett and I think my DEC at 88.2k is -1.4 ms.

So, you just need to find the next best reference point to determine from the waveforms what the difference is.

Punch it in, try it again and see if they line up. I find I have to do it more times than I'd like to get it right.

yhaemmerli

Post by yhaemmerli » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:41 pm

Hi Josh

Thank you for your comment, I appreciate. Well, as you suggested, I tested several DEC values, -100, -50, 0, +50, +100 millisecond, even with +/- 200ms I still have the same and anoying delay effect .:(

I can clearly see the delay in the arrangement page or in the sample edit area. What I did is the following : First, I created a track from a single drums kick I found in Ableton. This clip is obviously perfectly aligned with the metronom. Then, I recorded my own snare kick on track 2, trying to be as exact as possible in timing. Normally, both tracks should be aligned if the DEC did his job. However, my recorded track is always too late when compared with the reference kick on track 1. It seems that DEC has no effect in deed...

I begin to suspect my PC to be too slow ? It is a ThinkPad with Intel Core 2 Duo 2.27 GhZ... What computer do you use ?

Thank you for your help !

Yves

JoshG567

Post by JoshG567 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:22 am

Did you route your output back into your interface?

yhaemmerli

Post by yhaemmerli » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:18 pm

Yes I did. I connected output 1 of the Scarlett 2i4 to its input 2.

But, as I wrote before, as this method did not work, I used the method explained in my previous post. Is there a mean to send you per mail JPG screen capture ? You will clearly see the problem, you will see the second track delayed from the reference track.