Plugins A to Z Video Series I'm doing...

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Jakks

Plugins A to Z Video Series I'm doing...

Post by Jakks » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:40 am

Hi guys,

A bit of shameless self-promotion here, but I'm doing a series on Live called "Plugins A to Z". I'm basically making a video for each of Ableton's stock plugins. I feel like a lot of Ableton users kind of discount a lot of the built-in effects just because they're... well, built into the DAW. This series is an attempt to kind of help users get more bang for their buck, so to speak.

If you're interested, please feel free to give it a look and ask me any questions if you have them.

This is the latest one. It's covering Compressor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBfaZTcqhu4

Hope this qualifies as a tip or a trick... :mrgreen:

Stromkraft

Re: Plugins A to Z Video Series I'm doing...

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:47 am

Jakks wrote:Hi guys,

A bit of shameless self-promotion here, but I'm doing a series on Live called "Plugins A to Z". I'm basically making a video for each of Ableton's stock plugins. I feel like a lot of Ableton users kind of discount a lot of the built-in effects just because they're... well, built into the DAW. This series is an attempt to kind of help users get more bang for their buck, so to speak.

If you're interested, please feel free to give it a look and ask me any questions if you have them.

This is the latest one. It's covering Compressor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBfaZTcqhu4
Nice first video (amp). I missed Softube did that one. These are very interesting as I'm currently pitching different plug-ins against each other for different tasks to see what I prefer, especially compressors. Obviously I should evaluate the internal ones a little more often too. So far I've focused mostly on the soft synths (for a looong time) against NI Komplete*, but effects are next, even if I use many already.

*Except for drum racks [Edit: and Sampler], NI won on everything.

Why aren't Ableton paying someone, like you, to do this already?
Last edited by Stromkraft on Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Make some music!

Jakks

Post by Jakks » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:49 am

If Ableton wanted to pay me to do this with better productuion values, I would be an insanely happy man :D

That's really cool about doing it with the instruments! Did you document the process? I'd love to read/watch!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:39 am

Jakks wrote:If Ableton wanted to pay me to do this with better productuion values, I would be an insanely happy man :D

That's really cool about doing it with the instruments! Did you document the process? I'd love to read/watch!
OK, but no I didn't. Out of this very unscientific exploration I just made my instrument selections in order to focus on these for a while: Fxpansion Tremor, Sampler (for drums mainly), Razor (Reaktor synth) and FM8. I don't think my selection process is very interesting as I relied much on my gut while trying to create simple patches and sounds.
I forgot that Sampler won over Kontakt just as drum rack won over Battery for me. I like the rawness and immedicacy of Sampler even though I know Kontakt is very good. I'll make time for the latter when I need something more complicated.

When I understand FM8 better I might pitch that against Operator. Haven't anyone done that already though? I can't do this now because I still don't fully understand FM. At the moment I'm recreating Analogue sounds that I like in Razor, ignoring most presets, except for learning from or abusing in different ways.
Make some music!