one for the Dee Jays out there.

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.

How do you Dj with Ableton?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:49 am

Entire tracks
32%
chopped up 4/8/16 bar loops
36%
Whatever Sasha Does
14%
the Opposite of whatever Sasha Does
18%

Total votes: 22

Danny boy

one for the Dee Jays out there.

Post by Danny boy » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:49 am

Superstar Djs... here you go!
"Are you ready to testify?"

Shane 54

Post by Shane 54 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:59 am

I guess one more option is missing, I use entire tracks (some of them rearranged with follow actions, so I'm able to change anything on the fly)
But on the other hand I use small snippets of other songs, like loops, acapellas, riffs (I play mostly trance/prog) and other well-known elements of tracks I wouldn't play entirely, but mashing them up enhances that "scream factor" from the audience.

Shane

Lowride

Post by Lowride » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:56 am

I think some people miss the point here...
Just coz you can chop up tracks doesn't necessarily mean you have to. Sometimes if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Good traditional DJ skills are all about song choice and how/when you mix tracks in - ableton provides a completely new system of doing that because you can tailor when things come in and go out if you want, but just because you have loads of loops and stuff at your disposal doesn't necessarily mean that it'll be any good...

Sometimes it's better to leave stuff the way the maker intended.

I personally chop stuff up, and layer fx, and beats and stuff, but play whole tracks as well...

Lowride

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:51 am

I leave the tracks alone... they're the ones people know, and don't like being mangled beyond recognition.

I use Live to smoothly mix track to track add percussion/FX/transitions, big-screen video effects, and lighting.

Tails

Post by Tails » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:36 am

Shane 54! I've listened to a few of your sets thanks to the magic of the 'net, very impressive! Good work, mang!

With Live 5, for me it'll be a combination of the first two... I'll be able to play the whole song unedited, but also just drop in drums or breakdowns or mangled loops or whatever that reference the original song, and use those.

blakejarrell

Post by blakejarrell » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:07 pm

i dont do anything at all with it, especially since ive cracked the wireless connection at the club. i just talk on aim and msn while i act like im doing something profound.

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:35 pm

Mostly "Entire tracks" with a bit of ""chopped up 4/8/16 bar loops". Will be doing more "chopped up 4/8/16 bar loops" with Live 5, as I think it lends itself to this much better than Live 4 did.
OS X, Live 9, Microbook II

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:10 pm

Like others here, I use a combo of whole tracks and little bits and pieces. I use a lot of my own loops too.

Tails

Post by Tails » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:54 pm

blakejarrell wrote:i dont do anything at all with it, especially since ive cracked the wireless connection at the club. i just talk on aim and msn while i act like im doing something profound.
nice1.

I use Live because it's expensive and has MIDI. That way I can get a big MIDI controller up there that looks tight and difficult, but I only really use it when the station ID for Hernan's set comes on, and I have to drop the volume lest I be discovered.

I always open a big set but use a 12" Powerbook so that the screen is small enough to block easily if any curious eyes come over to see what I'm up to.

I've also got a foot pedal in case I forget about a station ID and need to cut it out while I'm doing the Jesus pose.

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:34 pm

DJ Chim-Chim wrote:"ChimChim put song in session view. Chim-Chim push play. Chim-Chim put in new song. Chim-Chim push play again. Chim-Chim slide fader. Chim-Chim do this many times. Chim-Chim like mp3. Live figure out tempo. Chim-Chim big hero."
As said in sign language by a trained chimpanzee who's currently DJing with the Live 5 Beta.

Welcome to the future people. I don't think you can dumb down DJing any further.

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:56 am

That would be the same Chim-Chim who mastered GarageBand last year?

Now where is that 'wake up and smell the coffee' emoticon again...

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:23 pm

Tuur wrote:That would be the same Chim-Chim who mastered GarageBand last year?

Now where is that 'wake up and smell the coffee' emoticon again...
Yeah, that's the guy. I mean, Chimp.

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

Toufas

Post by Toufas » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:11 pm

i try to make my own loops and incorporate them in my sets

ps: shane 54 and blake...wow :O:O:O

galo

Post by galo » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:48 pm

i hope live 5 has'nt opened the flood doors for the truly talentless dj to excel, i have been using live 4 since February and use loops most of the time

the fact that you had to warp tracks, have some understnding of song structure mean that the system was'nt doing evrything for you. Maybe this is a good thing. I guess when i get my copy of 5 i will find out

here is a link to my latest mix
http://s4.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2XT6W ... YH3OJWX0AU

blakejarrell

Post by blakejarrell » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:46 pm

galo wrote:i hope live 5 has'nt opened the flood doors for the truly talentless dj to excel, i have been using live 4 since February and use loops most of the time

the fact that you had to warp tracks, have some understnding of song structure mean that the system was'nt doing evrything for you. Maybe this is a good thing. I guess when i get my copy of 5 i will find out

here is a link to my latest mix
http://s4.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2XT6W ... YH3OJWX0AU
why is everyone soooo scared that live 5 is going to totally destroy the sacredness of their craft? dj rollpills from the backwoods of anytown USA whose parents just bought him an ibook is not going to have the attention span nor the time and work ethic it takes to build a good set in ableton. nor is he going to be able to execute the set, nor is he going to have the creativity or the talent to do anything worth hearing. hes not going to want to spend the hours it takes to render good loops and sections, or make his own folders full of efx and washes.

i live in new orleans and people are still scared to use fucking CDJS because they think vinyl is the only way to go!!!! dj rollpills, if he does in fact decide to use ableton, is not going to be doing anything different than if he were using vinyl. he is simply going to be bouncing back and forth between tracks. big deal. and you know what he probably learned how to do that in two weeks like the rest of us did, standard djing is not rocket science!!!

so dont be scared that dj rollpills is going to be taking your residency anytime soon, or getting that coveted opening timeslot for john digweed at the next big event in your town. promoters only book people that have good resumes and good reputations, its like adamjay said, all the big jocks are either

a. really good producers
b. have been djing for 20+ years
c. have nice tits

so pick one of the above options and stick to it.

the influx of people trading in their guitars for turntables, or in this case, ibooks, is nothing new people. but dont treat every noobie like they are going to be the next dj rollpills either. they might be the one that learns the program better than you and can teach YOU some cool new tricks.

get over it