Traktor & Ableton together, S4 as soundcard

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
shazee

Traktor & Ableton together, S4 as soundcard

Post by shazee » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:37 pm

Hi,

I'm also intrigued by this setup. I have an S4 & was wondering if I could use both Traktor & Ableton simultaneously. Traktor will be for DJing, while I'd like to route audio from Traktor into Ableton, along with my sax for recording & processing purposes, all the while using the S4 as my Traktor controller & output for the PA.

Has anyone else done this? What is the best way to do this?

Thanks!

TomViolenz

Re: Traktor & Ableton together, S4 as soundcard

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:31 am

First you need to route the audio from Traktor to Live. You could use Soundflower for this I guess.
Then you would use your S4 soundcard as the Audio interface for Live to get the processed audio stream out of the computer.

The Traktor control functions of the S4 should not be influenced by this (it's just Midi, right?).

I'm not sure how sensible that solution is latency wise though and you would still need to tempo nudge Live and Traktor. Unless you use the Midi clock over a virtual Midi port method between the two apps. But that doesn't work well (constantly loses the tempo lock), so I would just do it manually. It's pretty stable then, but every ten minutes or so, you might have to nudge slightly.

But how would you get the sax into Live then? Does the S4 soundcard also have ins?!