Avoid dissonance / analysis plugin to avoid dissonance

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Endemo

Avoid dissonance / analysis plugin to avoid dissonance

Post by Endemo » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:48 am

Hi guys,
First I want to say hi to the Forum as Im writing the first time here.. :D

So to my question: Do you guys know any plugin to analyse if the track has dissonance or is not in Key?
I dont want to use autotune.. and the spectrum in ableton is not giving me hits either :D :D

Maybe you guys have some tipps?

Thx for our help, Max

jbodango

Re: Avoid dissonance / analysis plugin to avoid dissonance

Post by jbodango » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:05 pm

Why be dependent on a plugin? Why not learn some theory? Interval ear training for starters...

http://www.musictheory.net/lessons

Warmonger

Post by Warmonger » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:59 pm

What are you up to?

For samples, there's tuner in newest Live 9.2. For complex and evolving samples I actually use spectrum analyser for good results.

If you think about DJing and mixing, try Pioneer Recordbox (free) for key analysis.
Unfortunatelly, automatic tools are never perfect and can deceive you. Always make sure and check by ear.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:25 pm

Melodyne Essentials would work, but is definitely the overkill option: http://www.zzounds.com/item--CEEMDESSEN?siid=135968

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:17 am

Dissonance for midi or for audio?

Dissonance within a prerecorded track by another artist or your own?

Dissonance within a single track or between two blended tracks??

It might help to be a little more specific about what your are looking for 'dissonance' in.

I mean, best case scenario, you load up Live's "Scale" effect, play back a drum loop and hit a bunch of keys of a synth and loop it. Make sure to quantize to 8th notes (or use the arpeggiator). You'll never have a bad note.

Ideally though, you'll listen and be your own judge. Otherwise you'll be a cripple for life.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:30 am

I've used this to roughly figure out keys of tracks for djing without headphones.www.ibrahimshaath.co.uk/keyfinder/
And for some generative stuff where I can't manage dissonance by listening to individual files.. I guess if i was working entirely with complex samples I would pitch stuff up and down until I liked the sound. Use of dissonance is part of an aesthetic, if you use an external measure to tell you what is dissonance you've effectively reliquished control over part of your creative output. Nothing inherently wrong with that of course.