How do you save automation??

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Check1-2

How do you save automation??

Post by Check1-2 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:39 pm

Sorry didn't know what to call this! But this is pretty big question for me right now and I think would be massively helpful for a lot of people, and is probably something the pros are already doing, I just don't know how to do it.

What I'm doing is resampling a bunch of different versions of the same midi clip. The versions are different because of the midi mapping I have routed on this instrument rack. I've been copying out a bunch of the same midi clips. Then just moving down the line making alterations to each one and recording. But what I want (need??) to do, is to be able to actually save the automation parameters that were set for each take/different midi clip. All on the same channel preferably! So I'm not (at least right now) actually recording automation, although I probably will be doing that too. I'm actually just setting the automation where I want it and resampling the clip while it plays through.

Is there a way to save each specific automation parameters for each midi clip, on the same channel next to the same midi clip with different automation? Is this possible without having to have a separate channel for every different take? Sometimes the mapping and specifics of the automation get to complicated to get back to precisely and if I end up using that sound I am limited to audio in how I can tweak it. But if the original midi automation settings were also still written onto that specific midi clip, I could go back and do anything I wanted with it.

Please help if you can. I think this could be a big help, maybe I'm just not thinking straight or overlooking something....

jestermgee

Re: How do you save automation??

Post by jestermgee » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:46 am

If you are creating clips in a channel you should be able to click the channel header and drag into your Live library. This will save the entire channel, clips, effects and settings. Drag it back in to any set.

Is that what you mean?