Why is your metronome getting offset and messing Live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Amebastudio

Why is your metronome getting offset and messing Live

Post by Amebastudio » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:57 pm

Why is your metronome getting offset and messing your Launches?

This is one of those things that many users of Ableton Live don't seem to understand why it's so important if you're seriously on taking Live Performance into another level.

It's not often but I've read some guys talking about this and don't knowing why in the middle of their sets somehow during sometime when they launch a clip it doesn't start where it was supposed to.

\\

I also have this problem and I can tell you why this is happening. I already sent mails to Ableton regarding this issue.

So the problem is due to "Re-enable automation button".

And it happens because when you click the button thinking that it will only reset automation to your defaults it is also changing the Time Signature meaning that if you're working in 1BAR as I'm too and you have songs with odd signatures like 6/8 for example.

When you launch a scene that has BPM and Signature predefined values you'll see that the "Re-enable automation button" lights up.

What this is doing also that many people don't notice is changing your grid too (Turn the metronome ON and see it happening) and adding break points in the arrangement view.

The result of this is that because your grid has now changed and there is time consistency between Live's Session Clips and Live's main transport, when you launch a scene that is supposed to be at the predefined Time Signature you've set before instead it is launching it with the default Signature because during your live performance you've at least pressed the "re-enable automation" once.

\\

The only workaround but not the ideal one (and I'll explain why in a second) is using Clypxh.

But since it also doesn't have an option for re-enabling automation without changing the signature too, you have to use the "[ ] SIG" command.

Then again even this is not ideal because Clyphx commands are somehow independent of Live's API meaning that in this specific case the command will change the Signature but not restart the position to the first beat of the new Signature because there's a 100ms delay in all Clyphx commands, as said in the manual. And in this case because we're talking about synchronization and not just Signature changes timing is essential.

The best way to see that this is what happens is to have your metronome activated.

If it's ON you'll see that when you do this you're metronome keeps on sync but gets offgrid.

\\

I still don't know how there are so many users of Live in the world and so many few can't understand why this is so important and could even change the way you make music.

With this option you could have all your songs in a single project, every song with a different Time Signature and changing from parts of different songs without ever needing to press the main Stop transport.

Above this you could have Ciyphx responsible for the transitions of one track to another with a different Time Signature without getting offsync.

This is why Ableton should have at least have the option to NOT mess with Time Signature unless told to.

The "Re-Enable automation" button should only do what it says in it's name and not be changing the Time Signature EVEN when having launch options on Scenes.

andregmendes.com

bilposey

Re: Why is your metronome getting offset and messing Live

Post by bilposey » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:28 pm

I noticed that when I was going back and forth thru
Recording

Clear your set
Open new set

Go to preferences
Set default live set

That's all
Check your time signature