Hiding all automation lanes in arrangement?

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
fedx
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:41 pm

Hiding all automation lanes in arrangement?

Post by fedx » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:19 am

Is there any way to hide all automation lanes in arrangement with one command? They clutter up the view if u are doing high level editing so it would be nice to make all the red lines disappear.
Thanks

monkeytrix
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:07 pm

Re: Hiding all automation lanes in arrangement?

Post by monkeytrix » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:59 pm

It's certainly beyond tedious. I honestly can't believe this feature is still not addressed.

The production time lost manually hiding automation just to avoid tragic errors during the arrangement editing process is ugly indeed. - Selecting all and holding down command to turn them all off has not been an option since the implementation of track grouping.

There should be a global key command to hide all automation. period.

:x

miekwave
Posts: 752
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:49 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Hiding all automation lanes in arrangement?

Post by miekwave » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:12 am

fedx wrote:Is there any way to hide all automation lanes in arrangement with one command? They clutter up the view if u are doing high level editing so it would be nice to make all the red lines disappear.
Thanks
Select group containing Automation Lates - hit 'CTRL+A' then deselect automation (-) button to collapse all automation lanes.
Check out some of my soundtracks. Also Ableton Live Performance video.

ImageImage

monkeytrix
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:07 pm

Re: Hiding all automation lanes in arrangement?

Post by monkeytrix » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:27 am

I understand this is how you do it and I appreciate the response, but I mix, edit and arrange simultaneously and I have to turn them off one group at a time constantly, they constantly reappear . Is there any way to hide and unhindered all automation with a single motion? Producing one track with 10 track groups that's 10x the hundreds of times I need to do this.

- Maybe there is a way to keep automation from automatically reappearing very time I touch an automatable parameter? Am I overlooking the obvious here?

I must be missing something :roll:

miekwave
Posts: 752
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:49 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Hiding all automation lanes in arrangement?

Post by miekwave » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:15 am

monkeytrix wrote:I understand this is how you do it and I appreciate the response, but I mix, edit and arrange simultaneously and I have to turn them off one group at a time constantly, they constantly reappear . Is there any way to hide and unhindered all automation with a single motion? Producing one track with 10 track groups that's 10x the hundreds of times I need to do this.

- Maybe there is a way to keep automation from automatically reappearing very time I touch an automatable parameter? Am I overlooking the obvious here?

I must be missing something :roll:
As common practice, I usually hide automation lanes most of the time instinctively. I only display Automation lane when I need to edit it, but other than that I hide it most of the time.
Check out some of my soundtracks. Also Ableton Live Performance video.

ImageImage

monkeytrix
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:07 pm

Re: Hiding all automation lanes in arrangement?

Post by monkeytrix » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:30 am

Wow, what a luxury u r on another planet,
I personally, I'm my Ableton Live 9 cannot permanently hide them
- they always reappear every time I touch a knob or fader,
does this not happen in your world?

miekwave
Posts: 752
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:49 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Hiding all automation lanes in arrangement?

Post by miekwave » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:50 am

monkeytrix wrote:Wow, what a luxury u r on another planet,
I personally, I'm my Ableton Live 9 cannot permanently hide them
- they always reappear every time I touch a knob or fader,
does this not happen in your world?
see image - have thousands of automation lanes in a session, its not hard to hide them
Image
Check out some of my soundtracks. Also Ableton Live Performance video.

ImageImage

monkeytrix
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:07 pm

Re: Hiding all automation lanes in arrangement?

Post by monkeytrix » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:04 am

every time anyone brings up this issue it is responded to with an invalid excuse.
how many track groups do you have? because you cannot simply select one track and select all and turn off for all at the same time when every track inside a group is not selected
this also goes for resizing tracks, same tedious problem,
you must not use groups.

maybe the real question is - How do I get Ableton to stop automatically showing automation every single time I edit a parameter ?
Can you answer this?

miekwave
Posts: 752
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:49 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Hiding all automation lanes in arrangement?

Post by miekwave » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:51 am

monkeytrix wrote:every time anyone brings up this issue it is responded to with an invalid excuse.
how many track groups do you have? because you cannot simply select one track and select all and turn off for all at the same time when every track inside a group is not selected
this also goes for resizing tracks, same tedious problem,
you must not use groups.

maybe the real question is - How do I get Ableton to stop automatically showing automation every single time I edit a parameter ?
Can you answer this?
Ableton automatically displays your currently edited knob movements in the Arrangement view but thats not automation, thats your current position, but that's not a dedicated automation lane until you click the [+] button which creates a new automation lane for you. However, when it does do this, you can still select Arrangement region on the timeline, or select the last knob movement automation point. If you want to Hard write your knob movements (midi) then click the pink renable automation button on your transport, I would suggest mapping the renable automation button to a key or dedicated controller button on your template or project for this very situation. Secondly, you can delete the contents of any automation by selecting its region in an dedicated automation lane without affecting arrangement view sectional.

Sorry maybe I didn't understand your original question. Can you provide screenshot of the issue you're having?
Image
Check out some of my soundtracks. Also Ableton Live Performance video.

ImageImage

monkeytrix
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:07 pm

Re: Hiding all automation lanes in arrangement?

Post by monkeytrix » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:10 pm

I don't really need a lesson on how to use Live and I would prefer a more practical solution rather than another workaround.
That being said, your workflow suggestions may actually make things more manageable for me, so thanks for that.
My opinion still stands however. Pro Tools and Logic both have the feature I am looking for. Those of us familiar with the time wasted in not having the feature Still desperately need it.

No political response is needed.

miekwave
Posts: 752
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:49 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Hiding all automation lanes in arrangement?

Post by miekwave » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:33 am

monkeytrix wrote:I don't really need a lesson on how to use Live and I would prefer a more practical solution rather than another workaround.
That being said, your workflow suggestions may actually make things more manageable for me, so thanks for that.
My opinion still stands however. Pro Tools and Logic both have the feature I am looking for. Those of us familiar with the time wasted in not having the feature Still desperately need it.
I understand your concern, maybe put it in the Feature Request section is a better place for this? viewforum.php?f=3
Check out some of my soundtracks. Also Ableton Live Performance video.

ImageImage

Street Spirit
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:56 pm
Location: MI

Re: Hiding all automation lanes in arrangement?

Post by Street Spirit » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:07 am

Its sad that they waited till live 10 to add a shortcut to hide all automation lanes, or last used red line of annoyance fuck up.. thanks guys.. 300$ dollars for features that people have been asking for years ago... sad really, iam drunk but see the light. Not much to ask about the little things really

jestermgee
Posts: 3255
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:38 am
Contact:

Re: Hiding all automation lanes in arrangement?

Post by jestermgee » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:25 am

Thank god you dug this 2 year old thread up to support your argument of [cost Vs Live 10 upgrade] or I would have thought this to be just an ill conceived drunken rant.

:)

Street Spirit
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:56 pm
Location: MI

Re: Hiding all automation lanes in arrangement?

Post by Street Spirit » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:22 pm

Yeah just letting off some steam Lol.

I guess like most companies they are in it to make a profit.
Tried the 10 beta while ago, and just wasnt feeling it.

I dont even know why they still have the device configured button for vst,
when all you do is touch a parameter and the automation or orange line indicator shows up ALL THE TIME.

Frustrating when trying to edit clips and get the groove going.
adjust track vol, show none, wait.. show none, show none...no show showone edit clip , punch monitor

[jur]
Site Admin
Posts: 1629
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:04 pm
Location: Ableton

Re: Hiding all automation lanes in arrangement?

Post by [jur] » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:18 pm

Hmmm... what Monkeytrix was asking for is already here since forever... Just need to select the "show automated parameters only" in any track's automation chooser.
:roll:
Ableton Forum Moderator

Post Reply