Multi-Track Instruments: Ive Been Doing It Wrong!!!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
jestermgee

Multi-Track Instruments: Ive Been Doing It Wrong!!!

Post by jestermgee » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:24 am

So since I started with Live 6 years ago I have always created Multi-IO VST instrument racks (for use with instruments like Omnisphere, Kontakt and anything that allows Multi-midi in and multi-audio out) by creating an empty MIDI channel, sending MIDI to the VST track then creating another empty Audio track and receiving audio from the VST track.

This works but has many drawbacks (such as requiring 2x the track count, solo causes issues and it gets damn confusing to navigate using controllers such as Push)...

Then I "accidentally" discovered while playing round as I do that I could have just chucked an External Instrument into a track to Send MIDI to another track AND receive Audio back again to the same track. I had never even looked at the External Instrument since I thought it was only used to send MIDI out to a device and receive Audio back into Live... Duh, of course it can do that same thing within the box.

I then also find that this is a posted solution in Ableton answers too and somehow I missed this memo and have been suffering that complexity for years.

Always something new to learn and never have I been so excited to rebuild my instrument rack templates to make them LESS complex. If you did not already know this method (which most probably do) then look into that.