Midi-map button to clip stop & record for the selected track

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
catsandwich

Midi-map button to clip stop & record for the selected track

Post by catsandwich » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:30 pm

I've got a very complicated footswitch setup and I'm hoping to simplify. I currently loop my guitar going into a fender twin and a mesa. That requires two clip records and two clip stops for a total of 4 buttons. I also loop a mono synth and a poly synth. That's another 4 buttons.

What I'd like to do is dedicate a clip record and stop button for a selected track. This would allow me to use only 2 buttons for those 4 tracks I want to loop. Of course, I'd still need to midimap a way to select a track, but I can figure that out.

So, is it possible to have a button that triggers clip play/record or stop that targets the selected track?

catsandwich

Re: Midi-map button to clip stop & record for the selected track

Post by catsandwich » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:42 pm

I think I'm converging on something here.

1. How to trigger clip record/play for the selected track
a) There's probably a solution using M4L
b) The "Enter" key does this. Use Bomes or something else to emulate a keyboard from a footswitch
c) Use a footswitch with an APC40. (Not sure if Push can do this without M4L/Scripts/etc.

2. How to stop clip record/play for the selected track
a) Switch global default launch mode to "toggle" from "trigger"

Looks like I answered my own question. I don't record into scenes I'm not playing, so what works for me might not work for others, but this should give me a pretty rad UI for recording tracks since I now only have to use ONE footswitch for record and stop.