Transfer macro mappings to another knob?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Alchemystic

Transfer macro mappings to another knob?

Post by Alchemystic » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:49 pm

[EDIT] NEVERMIND...I see that Ableton automatically handles the transfer of mappings. :oops: You would think after using Ableton for years now I would've known that... :?

Maybe I'm missing something somewhere but most of what I'm finding with my google fu is tuts on how to make one-knob effects and just map things to macros in general. I'm curious as to whether I can actually transfer all the mappings from one knob to another knob within the same group of eight, say if I had a knob already all mapped out with some complex mappings and ranges set, but I decided I wanted to move it to another knob because I decided to add a new macro mapping and have them arranged in a logical work flow.

Specifically, and this is a simple example but it just got me thinking about this as a possible feature - I have a delay time mapping to the first macro and the second macro is mapped to the root note of a resonator. I want to move the root note macro one knob over so I can now map the sync/time selector to the macro knob immediately next to the delay time knob and keep my delay modulation knobs all grouped together. In this case there's not a lot of mapping going on...in fact I've now spend more time trying to find a workaround than it would've taken me to just redo it already lol... :roll: but in more complex cases it would really be a pain to redo everything from scratch.
Last edited by Alchemystic on Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S4racen

Re: Transfer macro mappings to another knob?

Post by S4racen » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:56 pm

Just group the original rack and then macro map the top level to the second level in the order you want it...

Cheers
D

Alchemystic

Post by Alchemystic » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:03 pm

True, but that's a less "elegant" solution and could lead to more clutter if you had to do it a lot..

In this case it didn't really matter because I had one thing mapped and when you map to another macro it keeps the ranges intact. Easy. But even still if you have a really complex set of mappings to multiple parameters you'd have to either go through and hunt them down one-by-one (which is error prone) or nest it in a larger rack like you mentioned - but a copy/paste or transfer option would be nice.

Pup

Post by Pup » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:26 pm

Alchemystic, I'm trying to find a solution to your problem. Your edit says Ableton "automatically handles the transfer of mappings"? Where and how does it do that?

svennirusl

Post by svennirusl » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:50 pm

Anyone found a solution to this one?