How to create snare rolls

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
mjwalker

How to create snare rolls

Post by mjwalker » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:24 pm

I was wondering how you guys go about creating nice, realistic sounding snare rolls?

I have the Ableton Session Drums Multimic but haven't seen a snare rolls option. I also have Stylus RMX.

Stromkraft

Re: How to create snare rolls

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:16 am

Previous discussion on the subject not with conclusive advice, but worth reading possibly: Make a programmed beat sound like real drum!

I guess the hardest part with advising on this is the difference in the level of authenticity that different producers might want. In electronic music genres non-authentic rolls even seem to be preferred by audiences. I think building a roll with samples of short parts of actual snare rolls, that build up a roll, could potentially be modulated and mixed to be convincing. It would seem someone has solved this already, but I'm not that interested in rolls myself so I might have missed this.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:10 pm

To make realistic snare rolls - I tend to haunt a lot of real drummer youtube channels looking for tips how the real guys play fills and rolls. There's a lot we (non-drummers) don't know about drums, and we can steal it, mutate it and re-use all this great knowledge.

I like to understand everything, so I'm not a fan of just slapping a "snare-roll" plugin on,

Example- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blzNTKlegJA

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:00 pm

the real way to make them is to do what we call buzzrolls....where you let the stick bounce, it's actually really easy just go and buy some sticks for ten bucks

the ITB way, i use beatrepeat....everything you need to make real rolls is in beatrepeat....add some delays for effect
Last edited by NoSonic822 on Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 102455 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:50 pm

Korg Wavedrum + drumsticks :-)

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:15 am

yea that is cool except theres no midi outs so not useful for daw studio stuff

we would want somethign morelike this
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SAMPLEPAD4

Alesis SamplePad 4 Compact Percussion Pad
4-pad Electronic Percus :twisted: :D

Austin Edward

Post by Austin Edward » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:15 am

interested in this. I'll try it out every few months in a track but I've never been super satisfied. solutions have been to either make it mechanical sounding with beat repeat or just ripping an actual snare roll from a sample or youtube. any other daw specific solutions without using a drum pad?
east coast take on uk club shit
https://soundcloud.com/austinedward