tip: dargging clips from arrange to session, and vice versa

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
ben_blue

tip: dargging clips from arrange to session, and vice versa

Post by ben_blue » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:11 pm

this may be old news to plenty of you, but there are so many people just getitng into live, so i thought i'd share one of my favorites.

this helped me so much when i found it:

you know the buttons on the top right of the screen that toggle between arrange and session view. well u can take a clip from either view and drag in on top of those buttons, and then you are in the other view, and can drop the clip wherever you want!

works for multi-selecting and copying.

one way i'll use this:

say i have a 2 bar midi clip looping in session. i want it to be an 8 bar clip, so i can add a variation in the fourth bar. i'll drag it to arrange (any midi track, doesnt matter), drag it out so it loops four times, select the whole thing, and hit CTRL-J and now its an 8 bar loops! then drag THAT bag to where i had the 2 bar loop sitting in session.

there are other ways of doing this, this is just one, obviously. (like copying/ pasting in the piano roll initially.)

/b
my favorites at the moment: MASSIVE. FM8. LIVE 6. Bome's Pro. KORE.

supster

Post by supster » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:15 pm

fastest:

- click on your clip, or clips (multiselect)

- HOLD the mouse button

- hit Tab key

you clip(s) will show up ghosted in the arrangeview, let go of the mouse to drop. also works in reverse back to session

even faster would be to Consolidate and change clip length in the session view, but we're working on getting them to put that in ;)
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

ben_blue

Post by ben_blue » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:24 pm

supster wrote:fastest:

- click on your clip, or clips (multiselect)

- HOLD the mouse button

- hit Tab key

you clip(s) will show up ghosted in the arrangeview, let go of the mouse to drop. also works in reverse back to session
NICE! totally new to me!
supster wrote:
even faster would be to Consolidate and change clip length in the session view, but we're working on getting them to put that in ;)
not sure what u mean here.

from the start: just select a clip as is? - i cant consolidate then.
my favorites at the moment: MASSIVE. FM8. LIVE 6. Bome's Pro. KORE.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:27 pm

I use that all the time to chop up/rearrange audio clips. The arrangement view is my work bench.