Clip stop quantisation

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
insch

Clip stop quantisation

Post by insch » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:39 pm

I am trying to set up some clips where they will play in their entirety before stopping when I activate the 'clip stop' button. In my final scene for a piece I want the clip to stop but not immediately - I want it to run its full length. I have previously looped it in the piece and the loop is 3 bars. I have tried setting up different clip launch quantisations but that doesn't seem to affect clip stop activation.

Any advice?

The_Subject

Re: Clip stop quantisation

Post by The_Subject » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:25 am

How long is the clip?

insch

Post by insch » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:22 am

The_Subject wrote:How long is the clip?
Thanks

There are a few different pieces - and the clips vary in length. I have managed to work out one ending by creating a new silent clip and triggering that with a launch quantisation of 4 bars which is the loop length of the clip in question. Now it plays the whole clip before triggereing silence.

However, one of my other pieces has a clip with a 3 bar loop and I can't set 3 bars launch quantisation for the dummy clip - its not an option. Hmmm...

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:39 pm

If you can create a new clip, you can instead remove the stop button of that clip slot.

Then the clip will not stop. If you have a scene with no clips in it, you would trigger that scene to 'stop all clips', but the channel with the stop button removed would allow your clip to continue playing.

The_Subject

Post by The_Subject » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:20 pm

Follow actions?
Tell it to play the next clip (the silent one) after the beats?

insch

Post by insch » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:59 am

yur2die4 wrote:If you can create a new clip, you can instead remove the stop button of that clip slot.

Then the clip will not stop. If you have a scene with no clips in it, you would trigger that scene to 'stop all clips', but the channel with the stop button removed would allow your clip to continue playing.
Thanks. But a new clip would re-trigger this clip which I want to avoid.

insch

Post by insch » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:00 am

The_Subject wrote:Follow actions?
Tell it to play the next clip (the silent one) after the beats?
Thanks. How would you set that up?

The_Subject

Post by The_Subject » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:19 pm

Follow actions are in the launch section of the clip, below it's quantization and stuff.

You have options like 'play next', 'play others' etc and can set the number of beats and bars and the chance against another action.