Dynamic MIDI Map?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
papashnorkle

Dynamic MIDI Map?

Post by papashnorkle » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:37 pm

Holler, how's yourselves? My old control surface kicked the bucket, so I've been experimenting with MIDI mapping in an attempt to create a control surface of some kind. I'm using both an Arturia Beatstep and Arturia Minilab for their encoders and pads and have set them up using both Arturia's MIDI Control Centre and Ableton's MIDI Map Mode to do the following:

Beatstep:
Encoder Row 1: Pan
Encoder Row 2: Volume
Pad Row 1: On/Off
Pad Row 2: Solo
Level Dial: Master Volume

Minilab:
Pad Row: Arm

This works great, and with 8 encoders/pads on each row, I can now setup up to 8 tracks. Unfortunately, the mapping is set specifically to those 8 tracks, so if you delete one you also delete the mapping for that track. It also means that each time you add a new track you have to set up the mapping for it.

With that in mind, is it possible to create a more dynamic map, where I can set the encoders and pads to the first 8 tracks in Ableton (whether they exist or not) and then when I start a new session and add in my first track, the first set of encoders and pads are automatically mapped to it?

S4racen

Re: Dynamic MIDI Map?

Post by S4racen » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:17 pm

You'll need to search for User Remote Script... I think this maybe possible but maybe not to the level of complexity you want below...

Cheers
D

papashnorkle

Post by papashnorkle » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:24 am

@s4racen Thanks for the reply. I'd been looking into MIDI remote scripts for this, but hadn't found any that fit my needs. Then I discovered Remotify (http://remotify.io) which was incredibly simple to use and I created my own script. I'll post it below for anyone who fancies a similar setup.

papashnorkle

Post by papashnorkle » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:42 am

As mentioned in my last post, I ended up creating my own MIDI Remote Script using Remotify. If anyone is interested in using their Arturia BeatStep as a control surface in Ableton Live, perhaps this will come in handy. I've mapped out the controls as outlined in the list below and installation instructions are included in the download.

LEVEL/RATE Encoder - Master Volume
Play Button - Play
Stop Button - Stop

Encoder #1 - Track #1 Pan
Encoder #2 - Track #2 Pan
Encoder #3 - Track #3 Pan
Encoder #4 - Track #4 Pan
Encoder #5 - Track #5 Pan
Encoder #6 - Track #6 Pan
Encoder #7 - Track #7 Pan
Encoder #8 - Track #8 Pan

Encoder #9 - Track #1 Volume
Encoder #10 - Track #2 Volume
Encoder #11 - Track #3 Volume
Encoder #12 - Track #4 Volume
Encoder #13 - Track #5 Volume
Encoder #14 - Track #6 Volume
Encoder #15 - Track #7 Volume
Encoder #16 - Track #8 Volume

Pad #1 - Track #1 Mute
Pad #2 - Track #2 Mute
Pad #3 - Track #3 Mute
Pad #4 - Track #4 Mute
Pad #5 - Track #5 Mute
Pad #6 - Track #6 Mute
Pad #7 - Track #7 Mute
Pad #8 - Track #8 Mute

Pad #9 - Track #1 Arm
Pad #10 - Track #2 Arm
Pad #11 - Track #3 Arm
Pad #12 - Track #4 Arm
Pad #13 - Track #5 Arm
Pad #14 - Track #6 Arm
Pad #15 - Track #7 Arm
Pad #16 - Track #8 Arm

Download BeetShtepKontrol @ https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Future updates might include using the SHIFT button to add additional features such as another bank of 8 tracks, or perhaps using encoders as sends/returns and pads as solo buttons. I'll have a ponder. Suggestions are welcome.

Crashzkitt

Post by Crashzkitt » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:48 pm

[quote="papashnorkle"]Hey, I have almost the same issue. I have already a mapping for Beatstep as Ableton control surface which fits all my need, but i would like add 1 function. Therefore i need some who know Ableton API and is familiar with Python Remote Scripts or i need someone who has a remotify pro account which he would like to Share with me (of course paid) since remotify discontinued pro accounts for new customers until remotify 2 will be released. I have a channel select function for 1 encoder and now i need a device select function for the selected Channel also with encoder or 2 Pads. 8 Device macro knobs will automaticly bei assigned to 8 encoder.

Pleased leave me a Note or a Message if you can help me out with this. (Wozld pay for any efforts or related labor)

Cheers!

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:47 pm

Hi This is now possible and very simple to acheive with ClyphX Pro and the Bindings Add On.

Additionally it provides functionality to change the mappings mid set with the launch of a clip, scene, locator or MIDI Message.

Cheers
D

EnjoyRC

Post by EnjoyRC » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:52 pm

S4racen wrote:Hi This is now possible and very simple to acheive with ClyphX Pro and the Bindings Add On.
+1 Was going to post the same reply :D
MacBook Pro (MacOS 13.0.1) i9 Processor, 32gb RAM, 4tb SSD
(STUDIO I/O) MOTU UltraLite mk5 (w/ADA8200), (LIVE I/O) Behringer X Air XR18
Ableton Live Suite 11 (Live performances), Studio One 5 (Studio Stem Creation)

jjbabydarling

Post by jjbabydarling » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:14 am

i know this thread is a year old but i thought i'd just post this for anyone who wants to achieve roughly the same restult without doing any of that fancy stuff.

beatstep pro comes with a premade universal mackie control mapping for ableton that does basically everything you guys achieved above. not sure if you can arm individual tracks which is a bit annoying. might have to do some manual mapping for that..... i could be wrong i dont want to watch the tutorial again. but yeah volume, pan, mute and solo plus shifting thru banks of 8 tracks and youre good to go with this much simpler solution.

the arturia guy explains it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1kMa2piwyk#&t=0m16s

ToBe

Post by ToBe » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:12 pm

If you want to go the Max for Live route there are two devices available for creating dynamic MIDI mappings for MIDI controllers in Ableton Live here: https://blog.abletondrummer.com/advance ... eton-live/
One is for buttons and one is for faders and dials.
(FREE) MAX for LIVE devices
http://blog.abletondrummer.com/free-max ... e-devices/

ABLETON LIVE for (but not only) DRUMMERS
http://www.abletondrummer.com