How to achieve this effect on synth

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
Post Reply
frontmanbeats
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:48 pm

How to achieve this effect on synth

Post by frontmanbeats » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:28 pm

Hello

I am wondering how you achieve the effect of some notes sound like they are reversed or the attack is higher.

Here is a link to a song with that effect on the synth from 0:32 to 1:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7hE_VKKR3c

yur2die4
Posts: 6408
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:02 am
Location: Menasha, Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: How to achieve this effect on synth

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:13 pm

Is that the idea behind 'risers' ?

Usually they'll fade in some space sounds as they build to add energy.

Also it sounds like in the 1:00 one there is some high pass filtering.

turbomartin
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:48 am

Re: How to achieve this effect on synth

Post by turbomartin » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:23 pm

filter and bitcrusher

frontmanbeats
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:48 pm

Re: How to achieve this effect on synth

Post by frontmanbeats » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:43 pm

I'm not completely sure we are talking about the same thing. What I am referring to are the sound of the notes. I think it goes E2 C2 D2. What effect is used on E2 and D2 ?

turbomartin
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:48 am

Re: How to achieve this effect on synth

Post by turbomartin » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:43 pm

The pumping effect is called sidechaining. If you put your glue compressor on a synth and chain it to the kickdrum, youll get that.

Or it might as well be a reversed stab sound.

The attack rate on the envelope is possible as well, but not very likely.

frontmanbeats
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:48 pm

Re: How to achieve this effect on synth

Post by frontmanbeats » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:01 pm

Yeah, the sidechain made the same effect!

I would feed every tone into a sampler and reverse the ones needed to make a reversed stab. Is there a better way ?
turbomartin wrote:The pumping effect is called sidechaining. If you put your glue compressor on a synth and chain it to the kickdrum, youll get that.

Or it might as well be a reversed stab sound.

The attack rate on the envelope is possible as well, but not very likely.

yur2die4
Posts: 6408
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:02 am
Location: Menasha, Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: How to achieve this effect on synth

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:57 pm

Ohhh now I hear the sound you're referring to. I was listening to the points exactly leading up to 32 and 1:00 haha

The sound seems to just fade in and get cut off abruptly. It might have two parts to the fade-in, and the fade out mostly just cuts off but might just barely fade a little also.

I'd mostly just play with envelopes.

An alternative is to use the Ableton Autopan device and set it as a kind of reverse gate. You can search for a kind of pseudo sidechain that uses Ableton autopan online to see how people do that.

Seems pretty important that the sound has a lot of noise.

Edit: played around with a sequence synced to a beat. It helps that there is a contrast between single notes and chord. You can use the same instrument for the whole line. Just when you do the chord stab, you can either ride the volume or quick jump between two types of the instrument where one fades in and the other doesn't. I experimented with adding a little LFO mod to the amp. It all comes down to taste. A little sidechain compression can probably help too.

frontmanbeats
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:48 pm

Re: How to achieve this effect on synth

Post by frontmanbeats » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:41 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Ohhh now I hear the sound you're referring to. I was listening to the points exactly leading up to 32 and 1:00 haha

The sound seems to just fade in and get cut off abruptly. It might have two parts to the fade-in, and the fade out mostly just cuts off but might just barely fade a little also.

I'd mostly just play with envelopes.

An alternative is to use the Ableton Autopan device and set it as a kind of reverse gate. You can search for a kind of pseudo sidechain that uses Ableton autopan online to see how people do that.

Seems pretty important that the sound has a lot of noise.

Edit: played around with a sequence synced to a beat. It helps that there is a contrast between single notes and chord. You can use the same instrument for the whole line. Just when you do the chord stab, you can either ride the volume or quick jump between two types of the instrument where one fades in and the other doesn't. I experimented with adding a little LFO mod to the amp. It all comes down to taste. A little sidechain compression can probably help too.
Thanks yur2die4

I tried the method with automating the volume on each note and it seems to do the trick though I need to work more on it : )

Can you be more specific about what you mean by "jump between two types of the instrument where one fades in and the other doesn't" ?

I also tried working with the autopan following a tutorial but I did not get good results.

yur2die4
Posts: 6408
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:02 am
Location: Menasha, Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: How to achieve this effect on synth

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:57 pm

I used a kind of synth that the mod wheel allows me to flip between two different settings of the same synth.

One of them was a harsher sound with short attack and more 'clean', biting sound for single notes. The other was basically just raising the amp Attack by a lot, slightly thicker osc.. But I don't think that is necessary.

Before the chord came in I would have the mod wheel switched to the other sound.

In Live, something like that would either be done with a rack or just by automating the Attack.

In the case of the autopan trick, I would make it much more subtle and have it off when you're not using that part of the synth.

At the very end, I'd say just go with whichever seems to get you the best results.

frontmanbeats
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:48 pm

Re: How to achieve this effect on synth

Post by frontmanbeats » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:15 pm

So far I find the best result was to add sidechain compression to the kick. I have never experimented with an LFO tool before, so I'm gonna try that a well. Thanks for all your input.
yur2die4 wrote:I used a kind of synth that the mod wheel allows me to flip between two different settings of the same synth.

One of them was a harsher sound with short attack and more 'clean', biting sound for single notes. The other was basically just raising the amp Attack by a lot, slightly thicker osc.. But I don't think that is necessary.

Before the chord came in I would have the mod wheel switched to the other sound.

In Live, something like that would either be done with a rack or just by automating the Attack.

In the case of the autopan trick, I would make it much more subtle and have it off when you're not using that part of the synth.

At the very end, I'd say just go with whichever seems to get you the best results.

Post Reply