samples offline- any solutions?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
aratunes

samples offline- any solutions?

Post by aratunes » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:21 am

Hi,
Say you had an acapella and put it in the arrangement view.
You chopped it all up, taking various pieces and slices with 'split clip- command e"

When you reopen the set the little samples are missing or offline. Possibly a collect all and save failure, but not sure

Is it possible to load the original sample and have the set know what to reference?
Could you open a new set with the full sample and then copy the pieces into it?
Is there a solution using the add folder in the browser?

Thanks, Ara

Angstrom

Re: samples offline- any solutions?

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:35 am

if you split the clip with command e , then each clip is just references to the original wave file. If did not do any destructive edit to those clips like consolidate or "crop clips" then the original wave file is wherever you last put it.

File -> Manage Files -> Manage Set -> View files
it will show the missing file
now hover over the word "external" and it will tell you where it thinks that file should be

if you deleted that file you need to get it again, and put it somewhere safe, then hit the hotswap button on the missing file

PG_1111

Post by PG_1111 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:25 pm

Where is the hot swap button?

Josh_Cunningham

Post by Josh_Cunningham » Mon May 25, 2020 6:07 pm

I had this problem when I archived a project into a zip file and then restored it. When I opened the set, all the samples showed offline. What I did to fix it is go to File>Manage Files>Manage Set>View Files. This will show all your missing files.

Next, open the file window on your computer where you keep your project saved. Drag the project folder into Ableton under the Ableton Browser on the left side of the screen under the "Places" section.

Your missing files should still be listed on the right side of the screen. Click the magnifying glass icon next to a missing file and it should now be able to find it in your Ableton Browser. Click the files in the browser and it will prompt you to automatically search for all the missing files. This should load all your offline samples. For me, there were a few that weren't caught in the autosearch, but I was able to go one-by-one and find them.

Eric DeHaeseleer

Post by Eric DeHaeseleer » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:57 am

Josh_Cunningham wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:07 pm
I had this problem when I archived a project into a zip file and then restored it. When I opened the set, all the samples showed offline. What I did to fix it is go to File>Manage Files>Manage Set>View Files. This will show all your missing files.

Next, open the file window on your computer where you keep your project saved. Drag the project folder into Ableton under the Ableton Browser on the left side of the screen under the "Places" section.

Your missing files should still be listed on the right side of the screen. Click the magnifying glass icon next to a missing file and it should now be able to find it in your Ableton Browser. Click the files in the browser and it will prompt you to automatically search for all the missing files. This should load all your offline samples. For me, there were a few that weren't caught in the autosearch, but I was able to go one-by-one and find them.
Dude you freaking saved me. I thought my two projects that I had spent a MONTH on were gone. Thank you so much for sharing this fix

auddio duck

Post by auddio duck » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:57 pm

Next, open the file window on your computer where you keep your project saved. Drag the project folder into Ableton under the Ableton Browser on the left side of the screen under the "Places" section

Can you elaborate on this please? I use a Mac. Im not sure which file window your referring to. Also im having trouble locating the places section your referring to. Thank you. Please help.

ozeebaby

Post by ozeebaby » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:31 am

Eric DeHaeseleer wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:57 am
Josh_Cunningham wrote:

Dude you freaking saved me. I thought my two projects that I had spent a MONTH on were gone. Thank you so much for sharing this fix
This is perfect - thanks guys. I installed a plugin to add distortion onto my guitar and when I saved it, the crash occured and I lost everything. I did exactly what you said and all the "sample offline" files just came back...so happy. I have made multiple back ups now. On another note, is this normal? For plugins to cause crashes?!

Leemoss

Post by Leemoss » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:16 pm

Josh_Cunningham wrote:

THANK YOU SO MUCH haha absolute legend. Saved my ass

casts_a_shadow

Post by casts_a_shadow » Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:20 pm

I found an additional issue for MAC users that can cause this problem. If you notice samples as "offline" check the samples folder and see if they have the iCloud icon next to them. Anything saved to the cloud will not get recognized. Save a hard copy of your project folder to your computer (not cloud) and the samples should find themselves upon reloading.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:29 pm

Yes, you definitely don't want to use iCloud for storing audio files you need to work with. Apple can remove those from your HD if you're running out of space you'd never know.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com