.wav.als?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Dirtweed420

.wav.als?

Post by Dirtweed420 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:27 pm

HI All,

I am kind of new to recording software. I was trying to create a .wav file of my recording, but after the file has been converted, it says .wav.als

This file will not open with media player, and even if I remove the .als from the end of the file, it still doesn't play.

I'm confused, I went onto the help site and I am following all the steps correctly.

HELP!
Gear (In home studio only): Mesa/Boogie Mark IV, with Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Radial JDI box, Strat, Mocking Bird, and JP signature series Ernie Ball.
Computer: ASUS laptop, with i7 processor, Nvidia Ge Force 635M,and 16 gig RAM.

Angstrom

Re: .wav.als?

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:36 pm

Thats just an analysis file of the wav, its what ableton makes to keep the warp and tempo info. Its tiny and NOT and audio file.

The original wav will still be in the same location it was unless you deleted it.

timday

Post by timday » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:38 pm

OK when Ableton imports something there are two files, a .wav and a .als.

The .als is a file created by Ableton that contains all the warping information that Ableton has gathered - like transient positions etc - which is what it needs if you want to pitch shift, timestretch etc. It isn't a media file but will have the same name as the sound file it derives from. The .wav file will be somewhere else (usually though it's in the same folder).

When you say you were trying to create a .wav file of your recording, not sure what you mean - there will already be a .wav (or .aiff depending on your preferences) in the samples folder of the project (in a subfolder called "recorded" if you have recorded into Ableton via a mic or similar). If you have done some production in Ableton and are trying to export a recording or mix use the file ->export audio/video menu and it will create a .wav wherever you choose to put it.

Dirtweed420

Post by Dirtweed420 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:02 pm

Oh Man,

I am really an amateur. :lol: Thanks so much! I found the tracks. :wink:

I found the files you guys were talking about but they are single tracks, and not the mix that I had running through my headphones. :?

I chose "Export" from the menu and expected to get a mix of all the tracks recorded on that tune. I must be missing a step or something. Can anyone advise on how I can get the entire song turned into a .wav file?

And I was mistaken, the exported file has the following extension on it: .wav.asd not .als.

While I am here I might as well ask how to get the click track to record onto the song as well. I need it for my scratch tracks in the studio.

You guys are awesome! thanks again!
Gear (In home studio only): Mesa/Boogie Mark IV, with Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Radial JDI box, Strat, Mocking Bird, and JP signature series Ernie Ball.

Dirtweed420

Post by Dirtweed420 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:04 pm

Dude! Thanks for the pointers, gonna try this stuff as soon as I get a chance, I guess the best way to add a click track to it, would be to create a midi clip and just drop it on the 1,2,3, and 4. then copy it and paste it all the way across?

Thank god for this forum, I thought it was an issue with the product and maybe I had to pay more for it to actually create a song I can listen to on a stereo.

AWESOME

timday

Post by timday » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:29 pm

yeah you're right. .asd not .als - I just wrote in what you'd written without thinking.

.als is the Ableton project file.

When you export remember to pick master as above and also you will probably want sample rate 44100 and bit depth 16. That is CD quality and will play in software media players. Some of the other options are high resolution options which IIRC windows media player in particular gets grumpy about.