Continue scene after loop

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
GGrizzy

Continue scene after loop

Post by GGrizzy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:42 pm

Hey all, first post here as I've usually been able to find answers just by searching but I've run into a wall on this one.

I only use Ableton to run backing tracks for a live band I play in. I have the scene with all the individual clips that get triggered within the scene (Keys, Synth, Piano, etc...) I usually just trigger the scene, it plays through and that's that.

On one song, the guitar player starts off with a delay guitar part so I'd like to loop the intro bar of click until I trigger again to play the rest of the clip. I know I can build two scenes to accomplish this task easily but I'd like to keep it in one scene if possible. Here's where I'm stuck:

I trigger the scene to start and I have all of the clips set to loop the first bar. Now I'd like to use a trigger to just advance past that bar and continue on with the rest of the song. Make sense? Is it possible?

Thanks guys, great community here

nedmech

Re: Continue scene after loop

Post by nedmech » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:41 am

This probably isn't exactly what you're looking for, but might be a step in the right direction. I know you can MIDI-map or Key-map to a clip's Loop setting button. Unfortunately, it seems to be a global map, but only received by the currently selected clip. It would work for one clip on one scene as long as that clip is selected, but I don't think that's the solution you're looking for.

I've done kind of the opposite before - have my clips play an intro bar, then go into an intro progression pattern repeatedly until I triggered the next progression, but I used two scenes and some MIDI mapping to accomplish that as well.

chapelier fou

Re: Continue scene after loop

Post by chapelier fou » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:38 am

There's no way to move the loop position into clips, natively.
What i could suggest, if there are not many tracks involved :
duplicate your tracks,
set the crossfader settings to A for the regular tracks and B for the duplicates,
set up the "B tracks" as the intros,
use the cross fader to switch between the intros and the normal song.

EDIT : it probably won't work because of the background playback. Sorry. I leave the idea as it is, cause it could be useful anyways.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1