Need Advice On Warping Songs With No Drums

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
TVRZVN

Need Advice On Warping Songs With No Drums

Post by TVRZVN » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:42 am

I am currently working on a mashup, and the one track is all piano with no drums, and the other is an acapella. How does one go about Warping these correctly?

Stromkraft

Re: Need Advice On Warping Songs With No Drums

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:11 pm

TVRZVN wrote:I am currently working on a mashup, and the one track is all piano with no drums, and the other is an acapella. How does one go about Warping these correctly?
Find the proper tempos as a first step. I usually do this by tapping the tempo into Live so I have the proper tempo there, or use an external analyzer such as Traktor (as I trust that) and then changing the clip tempo until the end matches up to the end of the bar. Obviously making sure I have a clear start at 1.1.1.
If you have a free tempo you need to look into using master clips in Arrangement.
Make some music!

cheakypawl

Post by cheakypawl » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:39 pm

TVRZVN wrote:I am currently working on a mashup, and the one track is all piano with no drums, and the other is an acapella. How does one go about Warping these correctly?
Are these tracks 'strict' tempos/bpm? i.e., were they made in the last 20 years?
Or are they older tracks, played live, without a drum machine/computer/sequencer/sampler?

Depending on your material, there are a number of ways to tackle this. And Stromkraft has advised well....
OSX 11.7.2, MacBook Pro (15" Mid 2015), Live 11

TVRZVN

Post by TVRZVN » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:14 am

Stromkraft wrote:
Find the proper tempos as a first step. I usually do this by tapping the tempo into Live so I have the proper tempo there, or use an external analyzer such as Traktor (as I trust that) and then changing the clip tempo until the end matches up to the end of the bar. Obviously making sure I have a clear start at 1.1.1.
If you have a free tempo you need to look into using master clips in Arrangement.
Thank you, I didn't even think to check the tempos in Traktor. That was my main issue was trying to find the bpm of the tracks.

Much appreciated

TVRZVN

Post by TVRZVN » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:16 am

cheekypaul wrote:
Are these tracks 'strict' tempos/bpm? i.e., were they made in the last 20 years?
Or are they older tracks, played live, without a drum machine/computer/sequencer/sampler?

Depending on your material, there are a number of ways to tackle this. And Stromkraft has advised well....
The two tracks are 2pac - smile acapella, and the piano track is called, Relax Under Palm Trees.

cheakypawl

Post by cheakypawl » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:17 am

TVRZVN wrote:
cheekypaul wrote:

The two tracks are 2pac - smile acapella, and the piano track is called, Relax Under Palm Trees.

I am guessing 2pac will be strict tempo.
Don't know Relax Under Palm Tress.

Sounds fun....
OSX 11.7.2, MacBook Pro (15" Mid 2015), Live 11