How do I give the bass more punch and power?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
beatflux

Re: How do I give the bass more punch and power?

Post by beatflux » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:16 am

You have it all wrong. You want the kick to be punchy and bright, while the bass should be deep. Right now you have a kick with a weak top end, and a bass layered with an open hat that makes it sound doubly bright. You need a DnB kick, and roll off the top end of the bass with a low pass filter on either auto filter or EQ8. That should help.
Christian_R wrote:Hi,

I'm working on mixing my songs better, and one thing that I want to fix is my bass. I still want to keep it in a low key with the clean/organic/neutral sound, but I want to give it more punch and power. I think it sounds a little flat now compared to the professional artists, but I'm not really sure how to make it better. I have tried several bass instruments in the Ableton library (I also tried downloading the Guitars and Bass pack), and I ended up using the Synth Bass "Bass-Analogics", which I also tweaked a bit and added the EQ8.

Does anyone have some good tips on how to make it better? Are there any other bass packs / plugins I should try? I appreciate all the tips I can get ;)

Here's a clip with my bass sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fkfe6ktwuQ

U.G.U.R

Post by U.G.U.R » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:12 am

Hey guys!! ı am producing about a year and ı love it.
maybe it's simple for you guys. but ı have a problem. ı am working on a project, which is house music. Now, ı am in mixing stage. In my project, ı have 3 synths (one of chord, one of melody, last one accent for chord) andd ı have frequency masking problem on my synths. Actually, ı tried to neutron to solve masking problem. but you know their frequencies are in same place. I think; I didnt do well EQing.

Do you have any suggestion?? I'm waiting for your response. if you have a article, video or smth. Cause I'm getting crazy 8O 8O

See you guyss :!:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:05 pm

well there's some good strategies in this thread.

best general advice I can give is to use subtractive EQing rather than boosting the signal. I've found that cutting via EQ and then raising the overall volume of the track(s) where the the cuts were made tends to lead to a somewhat better output - at least in my experience.

if you're using EQ to boost, maybe try a Save As and give your project a new name and then try adjusting your EQs by lowering levels instead to see if you get a better outcome. If not, revert back to the original.

*bookmark*
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

wearemindflux

Post by wearemindflux » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:14 pm

Some really good tips here.

Adding saturation really helps. Also, compression, use the attack time to let through the initial transient and release to clamp down un a 1/16 or 1/8 note.
Grab your free techno samples here>>>http://bit.ly/2YAS8so