Ableton Interface SLOOOOWWWW

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
The Carpet Cleaner

Ableton Interface SLOOOOWWWW

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:15 pm

Hi,

Ok I've got a brand new PC that is super fast.

HOWEVER, even on the simpliest ableton project, when there is long audio files in the arrangement view, depending on the zoom (when i'm zooming on the audio tracks), ableton window get very slugish, laggy, slow.
The interface inside ableton live is slow, like when I scroll lef/right, it lags, but even the windows itself, when I move it arround the desktop, is slow as well.

So wtf ??
It happens only in live, and I DO rembember I had this kind of problmes already years ago with my old imac...

I think it is related to the drawing of the waveform of the audio files, but I'm not sure.

Any idea to fix this mess ?

Thank you.

The Carpet Cleaner

Re: Ableton Interface SLOOOOWWWW

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:58 pm

It's a Desktop but it has a dedicated GPU with 4GB.

Actually, I find out that I need to click on the "RAM" button in the audio sample info at the bottom. I'm not sure why because this PC is a beast and I never had to do that with my shitty macbook pro.

If someone can explain why ... ? :)

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:36 am

antic604 wrote:
The Carpet Cleaner wrote:It's a Desktop but it has a dedicated GPU with 4GB.
I wouldn't expect any less from a PC that you described as 'super fast' (although 4GB is a bit low...). Anyway, having a dedicated GPU doesn't prevent it from having an integrated one as well, as they come with pretty much all contemporary Intel processors. Again, go into your graphics preferences and see which GPU is used for Live, try both and check the results. It may well be that your dedicated GPU is an issue for Live, even if it's a great gaming GPU.
The Carpet Cleaner wrote:Actually, I find out that I need to click on the "RAM" button in the audio sample info at the bottom. I'm not sure why because this PC is a beast and I never had to do that with my shitty macbook pro.
That would suggest that your HDD might be struggling to feed Live on time? Do you see the "D" icon in the top left corner of the screen flashing when the PC is slowing down?
Check this entry in the manual: https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/compu ... -disk-load

MacBooks have the SSD drives, which are smaller but have much higher throughput. Does your PC have an SSD drive? Maybe move your samples there?
HI,

I mean the GPU has 4GB of ram while the computer has 16gb.
And well... it has an integrated GPU but, obviously my screen is connected with HDMI to my GPU.
and yes the computer has 1Tb SSD.

To move on , actually something new, I found out that on my mac, whenever I load an audio file, it has ALREADY the RAM option activated. That's why it was not slowing down. But I don't know if it's Mac only, but I don't find any option in live to make this RAM activated by default. If you know how to, I think that will definitly the problem (instead of having to click myself on everythin long audio file that I load.)

cheers for your help !

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:05 am

The Carpet Cleaner wrote:yes the computer has 1Tb SSD.
Can you please run some speed tests on your disk?
Make some music!

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
The Carpet Cleaner wrote:yes the computer has 1Tb SSD.
Can you please run some speed tests on your disk?
Sure, what kind of test?

Lylu

Post by Lylu » Tue May 09, 2017 6:44 pm

This an old bug in Ableton, the best way to go around it is having a youtube video (on pause for example) in the background, and your zoom will work again. It's silly, unbelievable until you've tried it.
You'll find tons of people suffering from this, I read this tip from some guy not on this forum obviously, and it works. I also have a fast PC and fast graphic card and can't zoom in unless I've got this in the background.

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Tue May 09, 2017 8:12 pm

Well I have tried your solution Lylu but it was not working at first, but then by mistake I've launched the Tiesto Radio on spotify connected to my TV, and suddently the stutters disapeared indeed.

Also, I have talked with Ableton Support and for real the bug is known and supposed to be fixed in the current beta version. I'm waiting impatiently for the stable release to see if it's true !! Ha !