Automation for Group audio clip in session view

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
The Carpet Cleaner

Automation for Group audio clip in session view

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:05 am

Hello,

I want to make an automation on the auto filter, on a group of 3 audio clips in 3 audio tracks.
The clips are juste 1 bar. But I can't record any automation on the group itself.

This is really annoying, how can I create automation on groups in session view?

Stromkraft

Re: Automation for Group audio clip in session view

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:11 am

The Carpet Cleaner wrote:Hello,

I want to make an automation on the auto filter, on a group of 3 audio clips in 3 audio tracks.
The clips are juste 1 bar. But I can't record any automation on the group itself.

This is really annoying, how can I create automation on groups in session view?
Don't run the audio trough group, instead run it trough an "Aux", contained in the group or not. Set the input to "None" and record a few silent bars. The output should be routed to where your group went.

Make a duplicate of the mint silent audio clip. Go to the Envelopes section in the duplicate and unlink envelopes you want to work on so you can have any length you want. Record away.
Make some music!

musiccomposersg

Post by musiccomposersg » Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:55 am

got this issue too
Last edited by musiccomposersg on Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

musiccomposersg

Post by musiccomposersg » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:00 am

hi stromkraft, i tried following your steps and found it a bit tricky at first cos i couldn't understand the duplicating silent clip and unlink. Please let me know what is the rationale for that part.

I worked out my own method and am very grateful for your tip because it solved a huge headache. Thank you for your solution to this issue. Here is the method i started using based off of your initial suggestion

1. Create blank aux audio track
2. Set input on aux track to no input
3. Record a silent clip of very short length
4. Set all tracks to output to Aux and set aux to output to group
5. Go to recorded blank clip’s envelope and add / record automation
6. Set the monitor input to in to hear playback of tracks (auto also works)
7. Turn the record arm on

I noticed some lag issues with this process so not sure if its optimal to be honest

Can't add image here but if you want to see image of steps in ableton project check website here (need to sign up for a free account): www.musiccourseonline.com/livesettricks