Fixing problems with negative MIDI Clock Sync Delay ?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
hems

Fixing problems with negative MIDI Clock Sync Delay ?

Post by hems » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:39 pm

Hello Guys,

As you know when using negative "MIDI Clock Sync Delay" to sync external gear there are a couple problems:

1 - The first beat is always out of time
2 - MIDI Clock Sync Delay might change ( even using exactly the same external gear and sound interface )
3 - Sometimes when you start the track ableton just messes it up and you have to stop and start again

During a long time i believed i was doing something wrong, but to be honest i tried all possible and impossible combinations of tricks between "MIDI SYNC DELAY", "Track Delay" etcs and nothing ever solved this situation.

Is there a definitive solution? Shall i simple give up on using Ableton as Master? Shall i pray for it to be finally fixed on Ableton 10? Am I an idiot and should change something ( for instance my sound interface )?

Currently using Ableton 9, my interfaces are:

- Motu Ultralite mk3 ( for audio an 1x midi out )
- Motu 5x5 MIDI interface

What is your take on this one? Do you believe ableton will ( one day ) implement a reliable and sexy Master clock ?

hems

Re: Fixing problems with negative MIDI Clock Sync Delay ?

Post by hems » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:55 pm

A funny situation i found now.

I'm sending MIDI NOTES to one machine and MIDI CLOCK to another machine.

In order to get the machine i'm sending MIDI on the grid, i had to use exacty -13.6 on the "Track Delay", yes 0.6 and it works perfectly!

When using the "Midi Clock Sync Delay" the .1, .2, .3 doesn't seem to make any difference.

So i try -31, -31.1, -31.2, -31.3ms for the "Midi Clock Sync Delay" the waveform don't move!

Goes without saying that the "Midi Clock Sync Delay" should behave like the "Track Delay" and work from the first beat instead of starting wrong and then compensating itself resulting on a ALWAYS OUT OF TIME first beat.

I'm sure guys at Ableton know about this but perhaps it's not an easy fix and we have to make a petition for them to fix on Ableton 10 ?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:02 pm

hems wrote:Hello Guys,

As you know when using negative "MIDI Clock Sync Delay" to sync external gear there are a couple problems:

1 - The first beat is always out of time

- Motu Ultralite mk3 ( for audio an 1x midi out )
- Motu 5x5 MIDI interface

What is your take on this one??
The 1 doesn't happen to me with TR-8, nor Rytm.

The reason MIDI track delay works is because everything else is delayed, i e it adds latency to everything else and thusly does not shift anything earlier.

Are you actually using External Instrument? If not, why not?
Make some music!

hems

Post by hems » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:16 pm

Stromkraft wrote:TR-8, nor Rytm.
That's funny, are you using USB? I use "real midi cables" so that might be a difference as well
Stromkraft wrote:Are you actually using External Instrument? If not, why not?
- I need the audio to be recorded perfectly the grid so i can easily copy/paste without worrying about latency
- I prefer to record on my audio track instead of creating an extra one to record the audio output of External Instrument
- One of my machines only receive clock and i don't think External Instrument can send clock, specially with negative MIDI SYNC DELAY value ? I remember trying to compensante with the track delay / external midi delay but i remember not getting the result i wanted which is record tight to the grid.

Please tell me i'm doing something wrong and you have a solution for me? I feel like i tried all the possible track delays, latencies and options around ableton ( including Option ~> Reduce latency when monitoring ) and this ( negative midi clock and negative delay on midi tracks ) is the best i could figure out to control my gear!

kikass

Post by kikass » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:35 pm

Hi,

I'm experiencing a similar sync problem:
I set negative MIDI clock sync delay and I'm able to record external drum machine exactly on grid.
BUT, when playing without pressing record, the audio is not synced with Ableton click (even with direct monitoring)

Testing with MacBook Pro 2016 on empty project with Focusrite Clarret TB 2.6ms latency.
I tested it with various audio interfaces.

THIS BUG IS NOT PRESENT ON WINDOWS