Adding / Moving plugins without "poping" the sound?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
hems

Adding / Moving plugins without "poping" the sound?

Post by hems » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:16 pm

Hello Guys, sometimes while recording sessions i end up adding or moving plugins in the chain but more often than not the sound "clicks" or "pops" for a split second.

Is there a way to avoid this?

jestermgee

Re: Adding / Moving plugins without "poping" the sound?

Post by jestermgee » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:19 am

Not really.

Internally Live needs to "patch" the audio into and out of the modules you are moving around so it will cause some interruptions just as if you were trying to add an FX processor into an actual rack while it was playing audio.

You could try and deactivate the option "Reduced Latency While Monitoring" in the "Options" menu which can help resolve some audio hiccups when adding/removing things.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:15 am

hems wrote:Hello Guys, sometimes while recording sessions i end up adding or moving plugins in the chain but more often than not the sound "clicks" or "pops" for a split second.

Is there a way to avoid this?
What happens if you mute the track in question?
Make some music!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:00 pm

"Reduced latency when monitoring" is often the cause of such pops.
Theres a trade off....have RLWM active and play softsynths with minimal latency (but their clocking will by off-time and pops will happen if their stream needs recalculating)
Or have RLWM off, and the synth will be as latent as the entire set, but it will,clock in time, and is less likely to pop.

It might be good if RLWM could be activated per track. But really its a tough problem to solve. Least latency? More stream issues. More latency, more solid.

hems

Post by hems » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:18 pm

Angstrom wrote:"Reduced latency when monitoring" is often the cause of such pops.
Theres a trade off....have RLWM active and play softsynths with minimal latency (but their clocking will by off-time and pops will happen if their stream needs recalculating)
Or have RLWM off, and the synth will be as latent as the entire set, but it will,clock in time, and is less likely to pop.

It might be good if RLWM could be activated per track. But really its a tough problem to solve. Least latency? More stream issues. More latency, more solid.
yeah that makes a lot of sense the "audio graph" has to be re-wired, Max/MSP does the same thing when you add a vst / au object.

In the other hand Supercollider does add and remove things from the graph ( as far as i understand, i might be totally wrong!! ) without any pops whatsoever... but yeah i don't add and remove "vsts" or "au" on supercollider so perhaps it's a totally different thing and i'm just saying comparing apples to bananas and saying total crap :roll:

on a side node, dude i just went to your blog and you have some killer tips on Operator, i never saw anyone making operator sound like you did, haha well done! the PWM trick and unlocking the phase sync on the key press are such good tricks i almost felt like i want to try Operator instead of others more cpu-heavy things i have been using!

on a second side note, i'm really into: ambilunch and trip-jizz! will check your stuff now!