Pan Left To Right ??

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
britesc

Pan Left To Right ??

Post by britesc » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:43 am

Hi,
How can I pan a sound from left to right over time, i.e gradually.
I want to pan a sound from the normal both position, gradually to the right then back to middle then gradually to the left and back to the middle.

Please could someone advise me of the way to do this?
Thank and kind regards.
jb

ashtonron

Post by ashtonron » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:58 am

Just use the auto pan effect

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:58 am

autopan

or move the pan pot & record what you do

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:02 pm

Or dummy clips if you want it unregular.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

graceslick

Post by graceslick » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:49 am

I know how to do the auto pan thing, but I was just wondering something sort of related...

I've in the past tried to copy a clip from one track to another, in order to have one playing from the left speaker and the other identical one playing from the right speaker, but on the copied clip when inserted into the other track, my controls for choosing which speaker/how far to the left/right the sound goes, aren't there...

Anyone know why this is?
- Dell Inspiron 530 PC
- Line 6 Tone Port UX2
- Ableton Live 7
- Radio Shack MIDI keyboard
- 60 million guitars...and no talent *rolls eyes*

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:42 am

You mean the pan knob actually disappears on the track containing the copy? I did this exact same thing (while doing the Haas trick) yesterday and the pan controls didn't disappear.

I suspect I may be misunderstanding something here. Can you be more specific about the controls you are speaking of?

- Nick

graceslick

Post by graceslick » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:15 am

Yep, the pan track knob is not in the track containing the copied clip. Weirdness.
- Dell Inspiron 530 PC
- Line 6 Tone Port UX2
- Ableton Live 7
- Radio Shack MIDI keyboard
- 60 million guitars...and no talent *rolls eyes*

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:54 pm

Man, that is really weird. I wish I could help you, but I've never heard of or seen this happen.

doogs

Post by doogs » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:35 am

graceslick wrote:Yep, the pan track knob is not in the track containing the copied clip. Weirdness.
Could you post a screenshot...?

summersun85

Re: Pan Left To Right ??

Post by summersun85 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:14 am

Hi 8)

So you wanna pan left/right. Idk why you wanna do this. I, otoh, I wanted to work the same pan in order to expand a bass sound. So follow me. Here we go.

Navigate to arrangement view. Create one bass track using piano roll or a midi. Let's say you use a midi keyboard. Make a 4-bar track or something. So you have a clip.

Take that clip and duplicate it to two new midi tracks underneath it. You should now have three of the same bass line layered on top of each other. However you have it, at this point you have some track.

Navigate to Session View. Underneath your audio/midi title bars lie your track status displays (the things with the "MIDI From" and "Audio To" and other knobs). Down where it says "Audio To", default it should read "master" but you're going to do some magic. There should be your three tracks side by side. All three of them you're going to change "Audio To"/"master" to "ext. out". You have three options. The 1/2, the 1, and the 2. You're probably way ahead of me now. One of the tracks, switch to 1 (left pan). The second switch to 2(right pan) and the third leave 1/2 (center pan).

And that's panning left/right for your tracks. You don't have to use the bass lines like I did, but it was the motive that generated my own discovery how to do this.

Sources: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB3pamoKaLs, http://www.loopmasters.com/articles/288 ... ucer-Jay-J

torocks

Re: Pan Left To Right ??

Post by torocks » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:26 pm

if you install max for live, first, you then get a true pan in max for live, youll notice the difference, the device is free too - ableton doesnt give you this as stock. you can then use your hands or a controller to automate or draw it in with the mouse (quickest way) while the track is playing... its best to use live as live device as much as possible, plus it makes you sharper not using it always as a linear daw. .