All times are UTC

Post subject: Copying Tempo Automation?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:14 pm 

Hi everybody!

Is there a way to copy tempo automation from one set to another? I've been trying to do so for ages (it would speed up my work incredibly) but I'm afraid it's not possible. Could anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Post subject: Re: Copying Tempo Automation?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:30 am 

Anyone?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:25 am 

I haven't tried this (at all), but Live offers to import tempo maps from MIDI files that you import. I'm wondering if you can create a MIDI track in one project, export it, then import it into another to pull in the tempo info.

-Luddy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:53 am 

luddy wrote:
I haven't tried this (at all), but Live offers to import tempo maps from MIDI files that you import. I'm wondering if you can create a MIDI track in one project, export it, then import it into another to pull in the tempo info.

-Luddy
Nice idea, but unfortunately too fiddly if you want to map exact tempos like for ex. 135.15 bpm. I have found a workaround, though, that is to some extend satisfying (Thanks to your suggestion!!!)

I just took some empty audio clips and aligned them in the arrangement view (length and position). One for each specified bpm-value I wanted. Then, for each clip, I set it's appropriate tempo in the clip-view box (just underneath the 'warp'-button). After doing so, I selected every clip in the track and activated the tempo-master buttons.

Voila: I had the tempo automation defined by audio clips (it doesn't work with midi clips). I then saved the track by dragging it into the browser and naming it. Now the neat part about it is that you can then delete the samples associated with the track, that saves HD space if you're working with 8-minutes tracks as I do. That way only the clip's tempo information is stored.

If you want to use that 'preset' in another Live set just drag the track into the set, place the clips where you want them in the arrangement (Live will show the message that media files are missing because you've deleted the audio files), select them all and activate their Tempo-Master buttons. After that, go to the to the tempo automation lane and right-click on it. You'll see the dialog entry 'Unslave Tempo Automation'. The Tempo automation will remain while it is "unslaved". After that you can delete your track with the 'Master Tempo' clips.

I think I've found a neat way to store tempo automation without taking too much of HD space, as the actual audio files are deleted.

Cheers,
Matt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:14 am 

That's a fantastic tip! Seems like a good way to edit the tempo map in the first place, given how ridiculously fiddly it is to set precise tempo values in Live's tempo automation lane.

nice one!

-Luddy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:55 am 

I have a real solution for this.

Open the project with the tempo that you want to export to another project, in session view.

Make a new audio track anywhere. Insert an empty effect rack onto audio rack. Right click "macro 1" and "create automation in new lane." Leave that be for now, with its empty automation lane.

Now, right click your song tempo. Click "show automation in new lane" which will display the master tempo automation information down on your master channel. Copy that automation information .. the whole lane from the song's start to finish.

Paste that information into the "macro 1" automation lane of your empty audio track.

You can now take that empty audio track, save it/drag it in the sidebar, and open it in a new project. If you copy the empty automation info from the empty audio effect rack to the master tempo of any other project, it will be the master tempo from your original project.

:)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:13 am 

loganjames1 wrote:
I have a real solution for this.

Open the project with the tempo that you want to export to another project, in session view.

Make a new audio track anywhere. Insert an empty effect rack onto audio rack. Right click "macro 1" and "create automation in new lane." Leave that be for now, with its empty automation lane.

Now, right click your song tempo. Click "show automation in new lane" which will display the master tempo automation information down on your master channel. Copy that automation information .. the whole lane from the song's start to finish.

Paste that information into the "macro 1" automation lane of your empty audio track.

You can now take that empty audio track, save it/drag it in the sidebar, and open it in a new project. If you copy the empty automation info from the empty audio effect rack to the master tempo of any other project, it will be the master tempo from your original project.

:)

Not bad for a first post ! :wink: