ableton live audio effect rack track delay

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
Post Reply
The Carpet Cleaner
Posts: 1128
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Paris

ableton live audio effect rack track delay

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:31 pm

Hi,

I often duplicate, hard pan left/right and use the track delay setting (the little "D" at the bottom right) to create some wideening effect.

I'll like to keep a project tidy, and hence, only use effect racks to dupplicate tracks. I can still pan differently the copies within effect racks, however I can't find a way to add slight delays between the channels.

Is that possible?

Thank you.

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: ableton live audio effect rack track delay

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:32 pm

The Carpet Cleaner wrote: I often duplicate, hard pan left/right and use the track delay setting (the little "D" at the bottom right) to create some wideening effect.
Adding track delay adds to your total latency.
The Carpet Cleaner wrote: I'll like to keep a project tidy, and hence, only use effect racks to dupplicate tracks. I can still pan differently the copies within effect racks, however I can't find a way to add slight delays between the channels.
What do you mean? Have you looked for delays in your audio effects folder in the Live browser? Have you opened and read, you know, the manual? That would seem to be good places to start.
Make some music!

The Carpet Cleaner
Posts: 1128
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Paris

Re: ableton live audio effect rack track delay

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:57 am

Why so butthurt?

You haven't understood my question, maybe I didn't ask well.

I like using the track delay function on tracks to create variations. You can set the track delay for each channel at the bottom of the channel strip, after activating the little "D" situated at the bottom right on the session view.

Now I'll like to do the same withing audio effect racks, for each row. Is that possible?

[jur]
Site Admin
Posts: 1705
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:04 pm
Location: Ableton

Re: ableton live audio effect rack track delay

Post by [jur] » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:43 pm

Use Simple Delay.
Ableton Forum Moderator

The Carpet Cleaner
Posts: 1128
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Paris

Re: ableton live audio effect rack track delay

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:04 pm

[jur] wrote:Use Simple Delay.
Perfect, thank you !

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: ableton live audio effect rack track delay

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:15 pm

The Carpet Cleaner wrote:Why so butthurt?

You haven't understood my question, maybe I didn't ask well.

I like using the track delay function on tracks to create variations. You can set the track delay for each channel at the bottom of the channel strip, after activating the little "D" situated at the bottom right on the session view.

Now I'll like to do the same withing audio effect racks, for each row. Is that possible?
Yes! I understood the basic premise of question. A "row" in Live is a scene, a collection of tracks that play at the same time. Adjusting the relative timing to the metronome/grid/pulse of a row is what you want to do? To me it more sounded like you wanted to delay copies of one track in order to affect the stereo perspective. That's a classic method that I use myself.

I only pointed out the backside of using track delay (added latency). Your current idea with using a delay is a very good one.

[jur] explained what to use. This info about delays is in there, in the manual, to which I posted the relevant link. I apologize if you find this offensive.
Make some music!

The Carpet Cleaner
Posts: 1128
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Paris

Re: ableton live audio effect rack track delay

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:04 am

Stromkraft wrote:
The Carpet Cleaner wrote:Why so butthurt?

You haven't understood my question, maybe I didn't ask well.

I like using the track delay function on tracks to create variations. You can set the track delay for each channel at the bottom of the channel strip, after activating the little "D" situated at the bottom right on the session view.

Now I'll like to do the same withing audio effect racks, for each row. Is that possible?
Yes! I understood the basic premise of question. A "row" in Live is a scene, a collection of tracks that play at the same time. Adjusting the relative timing to the metronome/grid/pulse of a row is what you want to do? To me it more sounded like you wanted to delay copies of one track in order to affect the stereo perspective. That's a classic method that I use myself.

I only pointed out the backside of using track delay (added latency). Your current idea with using a delay is a very good one.

[jur] explained what to use. This info about delays is in there, in the manual, to which I posted the relevant link. I apologize if you find this offensive.
Hey, no problem at all :) And thanks again for the explanation
Actually yes, that is what I wanted , delaying copies of the same track, with different setting as wells, and effects, to create slightly variated copies of the same content, to create stéréo perspective as well as "fullness". But I wanted to try to do all this process inside a single audio effect rack, instead of creating audio track copies, and group them. Using a simple delay in each chain of the effect rack does the track.

I still wish there was a delay paramater, along the volume and panner, for each chains in an audio effect rack.

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: ableton live audio effect rack track delay

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:08 am

The Carpet Cleaner wrote:
I still wish there was a delay paramater, along the volume and panner, for each chains in an audio effect rack.
That easy to build. Just use a Macromapped to the delay time of your chosen delay device in your audio effects rack.
Make some music!

Post Reply