Attn Guitarists...

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Westpit

Attn Guitarists...

Post by Westpit » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:33 pm

How do you use your Guitar with Live?

I mainly use live for producing house music, but recently I have been getting back into playing my guitar and I'm going to hook it up to live over the weekend to see what happens.

Any cool tips or tricks you can share?

Cheers.

squareve

Post by squareve » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:44 pm

I run a Vox ToneLab Modeler into Live. Outside of distortion, Using the plugin effects in Live for guitar is pretty awesome. You can program delay and filter automation to follow the song, thats always a good choice.

Also, if you've got some sort of Midi foot control, try messing around with assigning one pedal to record on the track, and a second one to stop the loop. I use Live alot as a live loop recorder cause it beats the hell out of any floor pedal for guitar, plus your loops are automatically synced to the song.

oddlaww

na

Post by oddlaww » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:29 pm

The main reason I use live is for its capabilities with guitar!

I simply use my so-so electric guitar, and a Korg Pandoras Box for everything else.

I output the 1/4 jack out from the pandora and into my M-audio 2496 RCA ins. Of course I had to get an adapted cable to go from 1/4" to RCA.

Its quite simple. And the ping-pong delay sounds great for dreamy guitars.

Harris.Andrew

Post by Harris.Andrew » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:07 am

I <3 Live for accompanyment whilst diddling on the guitar.

I also <3 Live for taking guitar sounds, and absolutely ripping them apart via warp markers, automation envelopes etc.

Finally I <3 Live fx, including the new beta fx, it's a really simple-to-use and flexible toolkit. I sort of feel like, even an amp simulator is going to not sound very much like my amp, but i can do a different palette of sounds with Live, rich in different ways.

Yep, I <3 Live :D

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:16 am

Most recently I've been using Live for processing both guitar and ukulele (seriously!) as well as playing my pre-arranged (in a MIDI channel) percussion samplesfor music I've been doing to accompany belly dancers. (Again, seriously. You can hear an example at onezeromusic; link below.)

The signal chain: guitar and uke separately into a little A/B footswitch, which then goes to an Electro-Harmonix LPB2ube as the preamp, then into the PowerBook. Interestingly, the uke pickup is a lot hotter than the guitar. Sometimes I'll control Live with a MIDI foot pedal, but sometimes I have to travel lighter, and just go with the mouse.

d-plate

Post by d-plate » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:22 pm

I have a very basic simple setup:

Epiphone SG -> MBox -> Live

Mainly I use NI's Guitar Rig for processing the guitar sound :wink:

I make mostly electronic stuff, so I like some bits of guitar here and there.

Westpit

Post by Westpit » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:33 am

Wicked, thanks guys. I didn't manage to mess around with this much over the weekend as the weather was sooo good! But I did squeeze in an hour or so.

I ran my strat through a Korg Kaoss Pad MkII then into my pc. You can get some amazing sounds just from the KP2 alone - I'd compare it to one of the top end BOSS effects pedals, although there are a lot of effects that aren't really suited to the guitar sound, but you can make some great samples for electronica this way :wink:

As for live - 8O Fantastic! Sampling a few chords in, looping them, adding a few effects then playing lead guitar back over the top is SO much fun, I could spend days just messing around with this.

As I usually use Live for making house music, it was a nice challenge to start making some more acoustic sounding arrangements with my own guitar samples. For me personally, trying to program the percussion as if it were live is much more of a challenge than making a simple four-to-the-floor dance rhythm, although I'm sure a lot of people would like to disagree.

Looking forward to spending a couple of solid hours on this tonight.

jamesp

Post by jamesp » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:29 pm

All great art is born of bad weather. :D

Don't miss this thread on Looping.

I save a template of this along w/ a couple tracks of drum loops pre-loaded. Then I'll pick a loop (or combination of beats), choose the tempo, and then jam on changes 'til I find something I like.

It doesn't feel like composing, but you can sure sketch out a lotta ideas quickly.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:58 am

I recomnend using redux for distortion/gain. Just twist the upper dial to an 8 or so.
I find this works surprisingly well. Whatever data is lost can be easilly made up if you send your out put to a sencond channel with a resonator on it.

If you mute the original, but now send the non resonated, reduxed guitar signal to a third clip with first class reverb, high-pass erosion and some chorus...

There are infinite possibilities. OMG, saturator and beat repeat!? Now beatrepeat demands a 3 credit course!

I really would like to get a good foot pedal.. if anyone has a good suggestion, please feel free to PM me.

Playing guitar in Live is like painting in oil for me. Of course I have always had a tendency for abstract expressionism.

Westpit

Post by Westpit » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:14 am

Yeah I have been using the redux for distortion, that is is until I downloaded the demo of Native Instruments Guitar Rig 8O

Running this as a VST in Live is awesome! As if Live's own effects wasn't enough!

I'm after a foot pedal too, I've heard that the Behringer FCB 1010 MIDI Foot Controller is a good buy at around £130.

http://www.behringer.com/FCB1010/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Anyone else got any cool tips & tricks?

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:49 pm

the fcb1010 is a good buy but it's a bitch to program. Anybody out there got any tips on this?

kimyo

Post by kimyo » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:35 pm

joeyfivecents wrote:the fcb1010 is a good buy but it's a bitch to program. Anybody out there got any tips on this?
download this:
http://www.mtnsys.com/faq-fcb/PCEditor.htm

it almost makes programming the fcb-1010 fun.

also check out the yahoo fcb1010 group.

oddlaww

question

Post by oddlaww » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:08 pm

Yeah I have been using the redux for distortion, that is is until I downloaded the demo of Native Instruments Guitar Rig

Running this as a VST in Live is awesome! As if Live's own effects wasn't enough!
Quick question, I tried to use Guitar Rig for recording my guitar in Live, however, I could not have both of them open at the same time as it would prompt me by saying, "ASIO is already in use." Is there a way to record guitar into live using Guitar Rig? You seem to have found a way. THnaks
Athlon XP 2800 - 1 GB DDR - 120 GB HD - Audiophile 2496 - Evolution MK-449C - KRK RP5 Monitors - Half ass Fernandes guitar = Boom

hogie

Post by hogie » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:28 pm

Guitar Rig should be in your VST instruments list in Live, maybe in a Native Instruments folder. Grab it and drag it onto the audio track for your guitar input and you're ready to rock.

simsm

Post by simsm » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:40 pm

the thing about the fcb-1010 is that by default half the switches are assigned to program change commands. live likes midi note on messages, so what you have to do is send a midi sysex message to the fcb-1010 to use all switches as midi note on's. then you're golden - $150 us and this thing rocks!! built solid.

matt