Modulation problems NI Komplete + Mk2 Controller on Ableton

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Sebastian

Modulation problems NI Komplete + Mk2 Controller on Ableton

Post by Sebastian » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:37 pm

Need help pls :)

Example...

In Ableton>> 2 MIDI tracks>>Each Has Komplete Instrument Loaded (as VST).

Track 1 I choose Piano and record notes EFG
Track 2 choose Bass, record notes EFG
track 3, synth, record notes DCB

I choose all instruments in each track using the browser on the Mk2 keyboard.

Sometimes it plays all notes correctly, sometimes it shifts notes of either track a half or whole step up or down. This happens on any track. I can Save and Exit and come back and its fine and then it starts messing up the notes.

Weird!

Any ideas how to fix?

Thanks

jestermgee

Re: Modulation problems NI Komplete + Mk2 Controller on Ableton

Post by jestermgee » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:02 pm

Some things aren't real clear with what you have detailed, maybe you can clarify (I see this question here and on the NI forums but i'll just stick to here):
In Ableton>> 2 MIDI tracks>>Each Has Komplete Instrument Loaded (as VST).
But then you say:
Track 1 I choose Piano and record notes EFG
Track 2 choose Bass, record notes EFG
track 3, synth, record notes DCB
Do you have 2 or 3 tracks?
I choose all instruments in each track using the browser on the Mk2 keyboard.
So by this I assume you are just saying that the way you have loaded an instrument into the track (within KK) is by using the instrument browser on the keyboard.
Sometimes it plays all notes correctly, sometimes it shifts notes of either track a half or whole step up or down.
What do you mean "Sometimes IT plays all notes correctly"... Is it when you play the notes on the keyboard with your hands, when you playback some recorded MIDI, when Pennywise has a crack?

Are you saying when you play EFG on your keyboard it records as EFG but pays back as a different set of notes or when you play EFG it actually sends different notes?

Things to check:
- Is the Scale mode active at all?
- Did you transpose the keyboard by semitones?

I can Save and Exit and come back and its fine and then it starts messing up the notes.
So by this I assume you record some playing and it does not sound as you played (it has changed after being recorded) or it does not sound right as you play? Also when you say "It starts messing up" how do you mean? Is it after some time, when you press a certain key? At what point/how does it start messing up.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:54 am

Any of the tracks already loaded with different instances of Komplete Instrument VST, after I have recorded, stopped, saved, will play back wrong notes, usually a step up or down.

It does it with 2 tracks or more.

This happens randomly.

I suspect it has to do with the tracks receiving some kind of modulation message but I have no idea how or from where.

This also happened with my Impulse 49 controller (using Ableton sounds only) which I ended up opening to change the mod wheel thinking that was the culprit per their tech support and ended up killing the whole keyboard.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:01 pm

Im pretty sure this has to be an Ableton issue since it has happened with 2 different MIDI controllers.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:58 am

Do you use pitchbend?

If you record pitchbend and a clip ends without resetting the bend to Zero, then the next clip that plays (if the new clip does not Start with a node that sets pitch bend to zero) would still be off pitch.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:54 pm

yes I did use Pitch Bend for that song! That is probably the problem.

Regarding this do you mean the next clip in any scene? Any clip?

" then the next clip that plays (if the new clip does not Start with a node that sets pitch bend to zero) would still be off pitch."

Amazing that I killed Impulse 49 by replacing the pitch bend wheel over the same issue. :(

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:59 pm

How do I adjust pitch bend back to Zero and where, in each MIDI clip that used Pitch Bend?

What if I copy pasted the guilty clips across various scenes; adjust those too?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:15 pm

Sebastian wrote:How do I adjust pitch bend back to Zero and where, in each MIDI clip that used Pitch Bend?
If you have recorded PB in a clip you need to open the Envelope editor then select the "MIDI Control" option then select the "Pitch Bend" parameter. If you have anything recorded these would be selected probably when you open the envelope editor and will have a dot next to them. You should see the envelope in the MIDI editor and if you are using PB in your clip and don't want it to "stick" at the end and throw off your next clip just make sure you add an envelope point at the end and drag it to the zero line.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:20 pm

thank you!

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:27 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Sebastian wrote:How do I adjust pitch bend back to Zero and where, in each MIDI clip that used Pitch Bend?
just make sure you add an envelope point at the end and drag it to the zero line.
Is an envelope point one of those little circles that go on the envelope lines?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:32 pm

Yep.

If I was to be more specific it's a "break point"

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/autom ... envelopes/