Can I individually send to a return track from a drum rack.

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
AlsoChris

Can I individually send to a return track from a drum rack.

Post by AlsoChris » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:55 pm

I'm not talking the google searched result I found where you can add return tracks within the drum rack, but to an external, next to the master sort of return where I could also send one or more separate instruments to, so they all get the same effect with the same settings, just at the desired level of signal.
Or do I have to just make that drum rack specific return effect and deal with it.

Cheers

silversurfer60

Re: Can I individually send to a return track from a drum rack.

Post by silversurfer60 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:24 pm

Yes,

create a return chain inside the drumrack and select on the right under Audio to instead of rack output the other options. In my case I can select all my return tracks. I've created a drumrack with 8 return chains isnside for all of my return tracks and saved it in my user library.
Last edited by silversurfer60 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

login

Post by login » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:25 pm

It can be done, you create the drum rack returns, and then in Drum rack In/out send return section your route the returns output to the external sends:

(in the Audio to column)

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:12 pm

Yeah, this works. Alternatively, you can set up your drumrack, and then add as many audio tracks as you have drum cells. On each audio track, set monitor to "in" and then In Audio From, select the track with drum rack. A new dropdown appears below this where you choose your drum cell. Rinse and repeat for all cells. Now each instrument in the drum rack is being routed to its own audio track. Now, you can use the sends on each audio track to mix the signal with whatever returns you have - that way you can now mix drum rack sounds with whatever you want.

Is that what you're after?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:30 am

Shift Gorden wrote:Now, you can use the sends on each audio track to mix the signal with whatever returns you have - that way you can now mix drum rack sounds with whatever you want.
An interesting alternative. One can also extract the drum rack chains into their own MIDI tracks, for when you want to keep chains/pads — which would be what you call 'cells' — together in the drum rack as a saveable unit. This entails getting an external instrument in each of those tracks, if the module used is a multi-output device, or the instrument in the chain/pad will move with the track.
Make some music!

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:40 am

Maybe I'm doing it wrong – but when I have placed the Return Chains in the bottom of the Drum Rack, as per Login's example, the audio from each drum cell in the rack is sending OK to the appropriate Return channel...

....BUT...

...because of the way it is now routed, the audio is bypassing any processing I have on my Drum Rack, or Drum Group – so if I Low-pass filter my drums, for example, the drums low pass, but I can hear the reverbs and returns slapping away in the return channels awkwardly. :roll:

Is there a way to be able to send individual drum pads to Return Channels that doesn't bypass the processing on the drum group? (or am I asking the impossible?)

Ultimately, what I'm looking for is an easy way to set up a template so that I can quickly add a little bit of reverb and delay to individual drum hits as I build a vibe in a track. Maybe there is a better way that I'm completely missing?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:40 pm

Hey Citizen,
Since L10 there's new routing options in Drum Racks, and I guess that's where you're having trouble with setting this up.
You need to make sure to use the chains' send and no their output. I think the design could be a bit confusing, can you double-check?
Or post a screenshot of your routing?
Ableton Forum Moderator

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:22 am

Hey, thanks – I finally worked it out – I had some weird routing that was actually doing something totally different than what I had intended to do.

I worked it out in the end. :lol: Minor bummer that you can only have 6 Return chains within a drum rack, where as you can have upto 12 main returns.

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:43 am

When I route to the main return tracks from inside a drum rack return, I am noticing some extra latency. Turning off "Reduced Latency When Monitoring" or unarming the track resolves the issue, but I would rather not have to do those things.

I tried disabling the sends on the main drum rack track, but that did not help.

Am I missing something? Or, is this a known behavior?

Thanks