tip : sending snapshots to FX as "presets"

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
ben_blue

tip : sending snapshots to FX as "presets"

Post by ben_blue » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:10 am

i use the BCR for this, but the UC should do as well, anything with "snapshots".

i have a BCR preset, say #1, with all my main controls. maybe main FX controls, but not a given FX's entire parameter list.

so i make BCR preset #2 mapped to, say, every single parameter of a fliter delay (and nothing else- nothing that preset #1 was mapped to, or my snap send may send unwanted stuff.)

i program all the filter delay's parameters, doesnt matter if u use the controller or not, to how i want them, something different drastically than what i usually defualt from. (or even easier, if Live sends updates out the remote control midi out, just pull up a filter delay preset.)

now store that BCR preset #2. now, we can go back to BCR #1, and also reset our filter delays params to "normal" or a different preset. (if we leave them the same now then sending our snapshot wont do anything.)

now we are performing, hummin' along, and switch to out bcr#2, and send the snapshot. (EDIT + PRESET <-) . thats it, weve recalled a our preset via controller!

opens up a few other ideas, like, ill most likely need another FX preset to get it back to "normal" or defualt.

mostly for the performing types, but arent well all basically now?
b
my favorites at the moment: MASSIVE. FM8. LIVE 6. Bome's Pro. KORE.

ckluxen

Post by ckluxen » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:26 pm

Did you ever think about recording snapshots? Perhaps for creatin complex drumming?

Patch

Post by Patch » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:19 pm

Hmm... Interesting. Does this mean you can use Snapshot to reset all control parameters on any given preset? Or can a single snapshot reset multiple presets to their original position.

This has to be used with Live in soft takeover mode, right? To stop parameter jumps when you next move a knob on the controller. (Talking UC-33e here - not a problem with the BCRs endless rotaries, right?)

ckluxen

Post by ckluxen » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:44 am

hi,

I did think about that the whole weekend, I have a BCR 2000, too, but its getting quiet confusing if you control many FX. I built a Drum sequencer in live using different FX Presets, the problem I see are the different parameters, f.ex. how can I find a 1/16 note trigger if I just have 0-127, well I can hear and store that of course and it works, right.

But I would like to get a editable software midi controller to name the different parameters and perhaps really see what I`m doing, after that I could send snapshots to different midi channels to get the same effect I used at a Bassdrum to a snare or hihat perhaps.

The FX Chains I use switch between Beat repeat, Delay or Filter for example, the macros control parameters of each effect. I control the chain selector and that way I switch to the effect I want.

So far there is no virtual midi controller for mac available, (?) it should sent snapshots, too.

Any solutions? Second way could be in life itself building tracks with the specified FX via remote out, well could be interstin, but just with midi pipe to filter out other cc, so you dont get feedback problems.

bye,
ckluxen

ckluxen

Post by ckluxen » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:09 am

P.s. if you use different midi channels you could sent FX to other instruments...