MIDI trick to repeat a beat/part instantly in EDM?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
accessrequired

MIDI trick to repeat a beat/part instantly in EDM?

Post by accessrequired » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:00 am

Hi all,

I've always wondered how artists make a individual part of a song repeat once. For instance a snare or kick. I see it mainly in EDM performances and have heard guys like Daft Punk, Deadmau5, and Justice use this technique a lot. They make it sound like a one-shot but seems to be repeating that individual piece. I'll post a link to a deadmau5 video where I saw it used. I'm not sure if it is the beat repeat function because it is only happening once and it seems to be on command. Let me know what you guys think they do to do this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1afDXp4MAA you can hear this technique being used at 47 seconds.
Alienware 15 VR2, Live 9.7, Akai MPK249 controller, Roland JDXI Hybrid synth, scarlett interface, JBL monitors, line 6 and behringer amps, 4+ guitars.

McAnix

Re: MIDI trick to repeat a beat/part instantly in EDM?

Post by McAnix » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:41 am

If I had to guess I'd say Deadmau5 uses beat repeat https://youtu.be/9UAJ_DRyOUg?t=1m44s
On this video it sounds like he has it setup on different stems maybe.
accessrequired wrote:
I'm not sure if it is the beat repeat function because it is only happening once and it seems to be on command.
Not sure what you mean by this? BR can be setup to do exactly this.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:15 pm

Or, you could just record the main output, copy and paste as you like. For instance into a sampler and play this where you want it. Old school.
Make some music!

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:45 pm

Another cool idea kinda of along these lines https://youtu.be/Vb4qfawAQ1Q?t=2m1s

accessrequired

Post by accessrequired » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:37 am

McAnix wrote:If I had to guess I'd say Deadmau5 uses beat repeat https://youtu.be/9UAJ_DRyOUg?t=1m44s
On this video it sounds like he has it setup on different stems maybe.
accessrequired wrote:
I'm not sure if it is the beat repeat function because it is only happening once and it seems to be on command.
Not sure what you mean by this? BR can be setup to do exactly this.

Nice this is exactly what I was looking for! I've never really experimented with BR so I need to learn how to do this
Alienware 15 VR2, Live 9.7, Akai MPK249 controller, Roland JDXI Hybrid synth, scarlett interface, JBL monitors, line 6 and behringer amps, 4+ guitars.

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:54 am

So turn chance to 0%, turn mix off and ins on. Now map the repeat button to a momentary button on a controller, now when ever you hold down that button you'll have a repeat set to your desired division (which is set by the grid knob). I have the grid knob mapped to a fader, one gets a feel of where the divisions are.

accessrequired

Post by accessrequired » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:20 pm

McAnix wrote:So turn chance to 0%, turn mix off and ins on. Now map the repeat button to a momentary button on a controller, now when ever you hold down that button you'll have a repeat set to your desired division (which is set by the grid knob). I have the grid knob mapped to a fader, one gets a feel of where the divisions are.
Awesome thanks!