Chord effect to key/scale for major/minor

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
holtyuk

Chord effect to key/scale for major/minor

Post by holtyuk » Tue May 01, 2018 6:36 pm

Hi, I'm fairly new to ableton and music theory so this might be a stupid question :D

I'm trying to set up the chord effect so I can play chords with a single midi note all within the right key for either a major or minor scale.

So, I can easily get chords to play as either a major or minor, but I can't work out how to get it to play chords for either the major or minor scale/key (still not sure what the right term is), where the major scale chords starting at the root go M, m, m, M, M, m, m dim and for a minor scale to go m, m dim, M, m, m, M, M

(M = major, m = minor)

For example, if I'm playing in C major and playing the iii chord (playing an E), I need it play E minor, And then playing IV chord (F) I need it to play F major. And vice versa when playing chords in a minor scale, F should play F major.

Not sure if that makes sense!

TIA

yur2die4

Re: Chord effect to key/scale for major/minor

Post by yur2die4 » Fri May 04, 2018 5:17 pm

There are a ‘Scale’ and a ‘Chord’ midi effect in Live. They come with several presets. It depends on how you plan to use them. Chord is a single-note into multi-note option. If using Chord, place Chord BEFORE Scale in he chain. Chord always uses the same intervals so it comes out kind of chromatic or static in tonal relationship. The magic happens when using the Scale effect. That will force the notes to conform to the scale. If you’d like to play several notes with your fingers instead, then you won’t need the Chord effect.

The next step is to load up one of these effects and tinker with it while looking at the details of it in the Manual. Live has a nice, easy to read description of all the parameters.

Good luck :)