Way to unroll automation recorded inside arrangement loop?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
emiska

Way to unroll automation recorded inside arrangement loop?

Post by emiska » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:27 am

Hey folks,

I've been wondering for a while if there's a way to "unroll" automation recorded inside of a loop playing in arrangement view in Live 9.

It's obviously possible to unroll the notes themselves in a looping MIDI clip playing in arrangement view with MIDI arrangement overdub and Automation Arm enabled...

...And it's obviously possible to record automation into a looping clip in Session View, and then afterwards access every bit of recorded automation in the clip view

But it doesn't seem that there's a way to access this after the fact in Arrangement View, short of hitting "undo" multiple times to get the take that I want, which doesn't allow for a lot of flexibility if I want to make changes later on. I know that I could achieve the same thing just by recording automation only on a looping session view clip, but it would be a nice workflow enhancer to be able do this in Arrangement when I'm sort of in an "Arrangement flow".

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Stromkraft

Re: Way to unroll automation recorded inside arrangement loop?

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:01 pm

If you can identify the parameter in the GUI of the track you can right-click it and select "Show Automation in a New Lane".
Make some music!

pottering

Post by pottering » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:24 pm

You mean "unloop"?

No, there is no way, AFAIK.

When you recorded automation in Arrangement View, you wrote automation to the Arrangement, not the Clips, and the Arrangement itself doesn't loop (it is the play marker that returns to the loop start marker), so you simply overwrote the previous automation every time you recorded in the same time selection.

The MIDI Notes are still written to the Clips (not locked to the Arrangement), that's why they can loop.
♥♥♥

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:17 pm

emiska wrote:But it doesn't seem that there's a way to access this after the fact in Arrangement View, short of hitting "undo" multiple times to get the take that I want, which doesn't allow for a lot of flexibility if I want to make changes later on. I know that I could achieve the same thing just by recording automation only on a looping session view clip
I think I might have misunderstood first what you meant with "unroll". You simply mean access what you recorded?
What does "after the fact" mean here though? After recording have stopped?
emiska wrote: ...And it's obviously possible to record automation into a looping clip in Session View, and then afterwards access every bit of recorded automation in the clip view

Is it that you mean that you simply want Modulation envelopes available also in Arrangement? Look here in Show modulation information in the arrangement view. There's also this very clarifying article Automation Vs. Modulation. While it's for Live 9 I believe it's still valid.

If you are looping over and over overdubbing in a Session clip, how do you mean everything you've done is available? If you're overdubbing the "x" envelope that means each take — when there is new data — replaces what "x" envelope that was there before, no?

I wonder if you are looking for the same thing as the people wishing for better "comping", i e handling multiple takes. Takes in Arrangement are created with overdubbing off — typically anyway — and that means notes are overwritten at each take.
Make some music!

emiska

Post by emiska » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:10 pm

Hey Stromkraft and Pottering,

Thanks for both of your responses. You have confirmed what I figured, which is that when I record inside of an arrangement loop, the notes themselves can be later "unrolled," but any parameters that I was playing around with while recording get overdubbed every time the play marker comes back to the beginning of the loop. Darnit, but at least now I know I'm not missing something.

Stromkraft, your interpretation of my question in your second reply is correct; I just didn't have a clear enough understanding of what my problem actually was to know that what was going on is overdubbing of the envelope data.

Well, that's that!