Ableton is causing unwanted and unexpected cymbal chokes

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Philasonic

Ableton is causing unwanted and unexpected cymbal chokes

Post by Philasonic » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:05 am

I am using EZ Drummer 2 and I have been using it for years. I have some midi clips that play fine in the stand alone EZ Drummer application, but in Ableton it chokes the cymbals. The same midi file.

I can create a new one from scratch and it will add the chokes where there should be none. I create in Ableton and it has chokes. Export the midi clip and it plays without choking in EZ Drummer standalone.

It doesn't always do this on every clip in every song. But when it starts, I don't know how to turn it off. My controller doesn't have after touch. And the clip plays fine in the standalone EZ Drummer.

I'm not using drum racks or any Ableton drum plug ins.

There have been times when I wanted to use chokes when the built in choke hit doesn't fit quite right in timing, but I never figured out how to do it with Akai pads. I can do it in Reaper with the Roland TD10 brain, but that is not relevant to this post.

Anyone know why Ableton is choking my cymbals and not letting them ring out? Have I accidentally enabled some feature to cause this?

Thanks for any ideas or help or suggestions you can share with me.

Stromkraft

Re: Ableton is causing unwanted and unexpected cymbal chokes

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:45 am

Philasonic wrote:
It doesn't always do this on every clip in every song. But when it starts, I don't know how to turn it off. My controller doesn't have after touch. And the clip plays fine in the standalone EZ Drummer.

I'm not using drum racks or any Ableton drum plug ins.
If a drum rack that would be the first thing to suggest to look at.

Can you please share how EZdrummer handles chokes? Maybe it's a controller message and you have added this without realising?
Last edited by Stromkraft on Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

jestermgee

Re: Ableton is causing unwanted and unexpected cymbal chokes

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:37 pm

Also, what kit do you have in EZD and are you using EZD2?

I use EZD2 all the time with a number of acoustic kits and the only chokes I have used are the ones that are automated (open/closed hat). Have not had unwanted chokes (I program/play using Push mostly) BUT I have had unwanted random velocities in hats occasionally which is frustrating and I am certain an EZD issue.

If you use one of the inbuilt MIDI patterns do you also get the unwanted choke or is it just related to your own MIDI pattern? If it's just your own pattern, as suggested it could be some kind of signal being recorded which triggers the choke.